Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girls really like to try to escape out of almost everything I put them in I have switched my free room setup so that way it is connected to the cage that way they can pick and choose when they want to get out because I THOUGHT every time they try to jump over the playpen they just wanted to go back in the cage this was not the case.
they still continue to try to jump over the walls as if they’re trying to get someplace else? How do i stop this!! They never jump over since its too tall, but them trying to escape, gives me a lot of anxiety and i cant enjoy free roam with them ☹

·
Registered
909 Posts
Some just love to escape! It's "what's on the other side?" that's got their curiosity, even if it's nothing. Like a cat at the door, always wants to be on the other side lol.

Let them jump. If they can't get over it, then you don't have to worry. They may figure out it won't work and look for another way out, like chewing. Rats behavior changes a lot, so this week they may be jumping, and next week they may be digging, or chewing, etc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the same issue with my girls. I have to agree with tinytoes.

I tend to find my rats get obsessed with a certain naughty thing. The most recent is getting underneath my curtains to go and explore the window ledge. They know it's not allowed, but that just makes them more interested!

As long as they're safe, theres nothing to stress about :) I've had lots of successful escapes with my girls and they've all been completely okay. Just scoop them up and plonk them back down in the pen again!

·
Registered
909 Posts
One or two of my boys will manage to make it onto the top of the cardboard wall, and then onto a small table. And sit. Because they don't want to jump down lol. So I catch them sitting on the table, and they stare at me cuz they can't get away 😅

·
Registered
20 Posts
One or two of my boys will manage to make it onto the top of the cardboard wall, and then onto a small table. And sit. Because they don't want to jump down lol. So I catch them sitting on the table, and they stare at me cuz they can't get away 😅
That's so cute! They always manage to get themselves stuck when they're naughty lol

I had a girl who was obsessed with climbing up my curtains. One day, I decided to just let her do it. She got all the way to the top and realised there was absolutely nothing there and gave me the most shameful "pls help am stuck" face I've ever seen an animal do. The things they do to get on our nerves :D

·
Registered
909 Posts
That's so cute! They always manage to get themselves stuck when they're naughty lol

I had a girl who was obsessed with climbing up my curtains. One day, I decided to just let her do it. She got all the way to the top and realised there was absolutely nothing there and gave me the most shameful "pls help am stuck" face I've ever seen an animal do. The things they do to get on our nerves :D
😂 😂

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the same issue with my girls. I have to agree with tinytoes.

I tend to find my rats get obsessed with a certain naughty thing. The most recent is getting underneath my curtains to go and explore the window ledge. They know it's not allowed, but that just makes them more interested!

As long as they're safe, theres nothing to stress about :) I've had lots of successful escapes with my girls and they've all been completely okay. Just scoop them up and plonk them back down in the pen again!
[/QUOTES
My rats squirm away if I handle them at free roam, since I free-roam at like 9pm they are so active and silly! I am so scared of losing them if they jump out 😩
I assume if they ever jump to the top they will just jump back into the cage, since the outside world is probably much scarier!

·
Registered
20 Posts
My girls are the same. It's not an ideal situation, but chasing them around for 10 minutes to catch them isnt the end of the world. In all likelihood, they wont get out. But if they do, dont stress! They'll be completely okay after a wander round the forbidden places. It might help to clear the area outside the pen of anything that could be really dangerous, more to alleviate your anxieties than anything. If they do manage to escape, you'll be able to scare them away from any wires, or food in the worst case scenario. I think the easiest way to deal with potential free range escapees is usually by doing things to calm yourself down. Rats are smart, and they usually know bad from good. They won't be throwing themselves from cliffs or squaring up the family dog, most they'll do is sniff for crumbs and have a wee on your carpet.

Free range can be horrible sometimes. I always find it really stressful. But having a couple of escapes and realising that the ratties will be okay after has calmed down my nerves a lot :)

Have you thought about free ranging in the bath tub if you have one? It's a lot smaller than most pens, but if you add enough interesting things than that won't matter. It's a lot easier to keep an eye on who's where when theres only one or two sides they can escape from.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My girls are the same. It's not an ideal situation, but chasing them around for 10 minutes to catch them isnt the end of the world. In all likelihood, they wont get out. But if they do, dont stress! They'll be completely okay after a wander round the forbidden places. It might help to clear the area outside the pen of anything that could be really dangerous, more to alleviate your anxieties than anything. If they do manage to escape, you'll be able to scare them away from any wires, or food in the worst case scenario. I think the easiest way to deal with potential free range escapees is usually by doing things to calm yourself down. Rats are smart, and they usually know bad from good. They won't be throwing themselves from cliffs or squaring up the family dog, most they'll do is sniff for crumbs and have a wee on your carpet.

Free range can be horrible sometimes. I always find it really stressful. But having a couple of escapes and realising that the ratties will be okay after has calmed down my nerves a lot :)

Have you thought about free ranging in the bath tub if you have one? It's a lot smaller than most pens, but if you add enough interesting things than that won't matter. It's a lot easier to keep an eye on who's where when theres only one or two sides they can escape from.
Yeah, I know I will catch them eventually :)

·
Registered
909 Posts
Also, if you know where they've picked a 'weak' spot, put a hidey box or carrier in that area. If they do escape and you end up chasing them, give them a safe place to dash into. Then they can be transferred back to their 'prison' ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts