Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had Alyssa origanaly in a small bird cage cause I had gotten her at a last min moment... so I finaly got her a new ((rat)) cage, its a 3 story cage that cane fit 2 small rats ((maybe 3))... well shes alone in her cage ((im ganna get her a friend soon)) and she for some reason hates the 2 top stories, shes run up to the second floor and grab a mouth full of food then run back down and put the food in her bed.. then she'll run up to the 3rd floor grab the tissue fabric from her hammock and drag it down to the bottom floor to her bed.. also the only time she hangs on the 2 top floors is when the cats are near her cage. anyone got any advice why she does that stuff??

Also can anyone help me?? I wanna litter train Alyssa (if its posible) and i dont know how... I never really needed to litter train my other rats but I would like to do it the proper way with her... have any tips???
((what litter to use, type of litter tray ect.))

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Grr! I replied to this and it didn't post!

I wouldn't worry about her taking stuff down to the bottom too much just yet. Give her a week or two and you'll probably see she warms up to the other levels. Our first rat used to be the same. I'd put stuff in there for her thinking she'd be nice and cozy, and she'd lie on the plastic shelves or move the bedding around and lie on the bare plastic tray :lol:

As for the litter training, place the tray in the place where she most frequently does her business. Keep a look out for droppings elsewhere in the cage, pick them up with a tissue and put them in the litter tray as soon after she has done it as possible. Eventually, she will get the message and start using the tray. At least, that's the theory :lol:

Let us know how you get on with it. Good luck!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now do i need litter to train her to potty in the tray?? I have plenty of kitty litter.. can i use that or what kind should i use?? what if she eats the litter??

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
That bit I'm not sure about. I would definitely use something other than her normal bedding, but I'm not sure if kitty litter would be ok - it might be too dusty.

You can buy litter for small animals. Failing that, maybe by some normal bedding, but a different kind to what you normally use in her cage, so she can distinguish between the two.

·
Registered
212 Posts
What sort of kitty litter do you have? I wouldn't reccommend using a clay-based one as they are usually far too dusty, and would make your rats dirty, too. They'd also end up eating it when they cleaned themselves. I think in the US you have a bedding called Yesterdays News, which i hear is very good, or you couls always use good ol' Carefresh.

It you want to use a litter for your litter tray try a paper-based or wood-based litter :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks for helping me out... and i figure something out to use.
thanx again!!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts