Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my rat is sadly coming 2 the end of his life after about 4 years & my dad has offered 2 put he out of his misery which i refused 2 let him do my rat is still drinking & eating he will only eat dog biscuits & bread but am i being selfish by keeping him alive as he is sleeping alot & falls over some times when he walks?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Take a step back from your emotions and look at your rat and ask yourself if he is suffering.

If you think he is, and there is nothing that can be done, I would take the rat to the vet to be put to sleep in a painless manner.

If not, he will tell you when it is time.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Ditto what Forensic said. Sometimes you have to detach yourself when it comes to times like these.

*cyber hugs*

·
Registered
124 Posts
when we discovered that my cat had kidney cancer, the vet offered to put her down. they told us she only had 3 weeks to live. she did not seem to be suffering so we decided to wait a while and say our goodbyes. her cancer went into remission for a few months and she was all of a sudden back to her normal self. when it finally came back, we could tell she was in pain and put her to rest.

if you think your boy is suffering, then i would say by all means let him go. if he seems to still be happy, then give him a chance to make a comeback. all animals want to live just as we do, but unfortunately they cant tell us when its their time to go. either way though, there is one extremely important thing to remember - make sure he lived, and dies, comfortably.

·
Registered
Widget & Gadget
323 Posts
Do we adopt the same attitude with old people then? "Ah, granny's starting to sleep too much and a little unsteady on her feet, let's cut her head off with a spade!"

This is awful, I'd hardly call lethargy or age grounds to put a rat to sleep. If he's still eating and drinking I say let the poor boy carry on, he's lived a long life and is entitled to a little bit of lounging about and enjoying the finer things. This is the perfect opportunity to give him the final few days/weeks he deserves, spoil him rotten with all the things he shouldn't eat like chocolate and yogies and fuss him continually. Let the guy go with a bang ;)

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Urithrand said:
Do we adopt the same attitude with old people then? "Ah, granny's starting to sleep too much and a little unsteady on her feet, let's cut her head off with a spade!"
Unfortunately, our society doesn't really allow this to happen. IMHO though - if I was old, couldn't move around much, couldn't do anything for myself, felt tired all the time, was in pain etc - I would thank someone for taking the decision away from me, and put me out of my misery. Many species kill/isolate the very old and weak, it's nature.

In the case of animals - we have the chance to save them from suffering. If this old boy (congrats on his age btw!) is suffering; you need to consider his welfare and perhaps take steps to help him pass as comfortably as possible.

If you're certain that he's not in pain, or suffering, and he's maintaining a reasonable quality of life - spoil him rotten and let him live out his last few weeks/months in bliss :)

Edit - as a side note; just dog biscuits and bread probably isn't helping him much; a poor diet can make him weak and sleepy (on top of his age!) Maybe try something like a mild babyfood, or something similar? To tempt him into having a little more of a rounded diet?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the reason i don't want him put 2 slepp is because i had a naked rat who looked close 2 die a few times but after a few days he would be walking around like normal

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but yeah, if I could no longer enjoy life, no longer move, wash myself, eat what I wanted (to an extent), if I could only drink with difficulty, and I was in pain with no cure in sight, then yes, I would definitely want to have my life ended. What's the point when you're sitting around waiting to die?
There are, in fact, places where doctor assisted suicide is legal, Oregon being the only state in the US (which is where I'm from). There are a lot of requirements to go along with it, not just anyone in any situation can do it, but at least it's an option. My father has repeated to me and my sister many times "I was a nurse; you'll know when it's time to pull my plug."

As for your taking gramma out back with a shovel... that's a little scary, how do you put your animals to sleep, exactly?

Dumbblondie: But yes, I say spoil the little rat, give him as much loving and treats (include fruits, they love those and are good for hydration and energy) and attention as you can. And when it's time, these little guys will let you know, and as hard as it is, you'll have to do your last duty to your pet and have their life humanely ended. It's so hard for us that are left behind, but at least we're comforted by having done the last thing we could for these little pets that are so special to us.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'm not to sure how my dad would do it as i don't like to know but my guess it would involve a bucket of water the only attention i can give him is to talk to him as he don't like to be handle he bites

·
Registered
240 Posts
A bucket of WATER? Drowning is the most painful and drawn out death any person or animal can suffer! How could you think that was reasonable? That's not putting him to sleep - putting him to sleep is what the vets do with drugs so it is painless (Or as far as we can tell, very little pain). It's called that because they go to sleep first. They don't suffocate as their lungs fill with water for minutes.

If it is his time to go, take him to a vet!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
jesirose said:
A bucket of WATER? Drowning is the most painful and drawn out death any person or animal can suffer! How could you think that was reasonable? That's not putting him to sleep - putting him to sleep is what the vets do with drugs so it is painless (Or as far as we can tell, very little pain). It's called that because they go to sleep first. They don't suffocate as their lungs fill with water for minutes.

If it is his time to go, take him to a vet!
Second this.

If you need to put your boy to sleep (or ANY animal) it should be done correctly by a qualified veterinarian

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I agree
Jeez i am scared of drowing myself let alone a poor weak lil rat - drowning and suffering would be his last memory do u really want that - dunk ur head underwater for as long as u can stand it believe me u will be struggling

it maybe expensive but it is worth it to have him put to professionally ...
Jess x

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you want to put him out of his misery, then do it humanely! Take him to a vet, please, and don't do it at home. If you really love him then you'll know when it's time to let go.... But, give a new diet a go ~ maybe he'll become more active.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
lucky guy, personally i think that's the best way to go. and i'm glad he was able to do it at home where he was comfortable. don't get me wrong, if they need help to pass on they need the vet to do it. but if they can peacefully and painlessly pass at home, well that's what i would prefer for myself as i imagine its much easier on a person/rat. i'm very sorry for his loss but he did live a very long time for a rat, i'm sure he and you enjoyed every bit of it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
aww bless sorry for your loss hunni ...
it upsets me just thinkiing about ronnie (the eldest by a month or two) dying even tho hes only like 20 summit weeks! i wud never let anyone drown my rats!
my other half wanted to do it the other day as lulu's tailing had degloved (sp?) and he thought she was in terrible pain! but i screamed at him for 5 mins and he walked out .. obviously he didnt want to do it but he felt he had to .. but thankfully he didnt... as shes running about now and her tail is fine :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts