Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a lot of items for my cage and almost completely redid it and I'm super happy with how it looks now! I just got my two boys about a week ago and since then I've been doing nothing but research and planning. Th cage I have is the Petco Rat Manor. I have some Oxbow Timothy apple treats around the cage, a hammock, a hanging bed, a hanging crinkle tunnel, a bird toy with some notebook paper for nesting, a rope that stretches from the bottom to the top, a straw hut with some fleece in it, a little cleaned bird feather hanging, a water bottle, and a litterbox with So Phresh potty-training pearls. I used to have Care Fresh paper bedding at the bottom on top of fleece but I replaced it with just fleece to cut down on mess. I feed my rats Mazuri rat and mouse diet food and keep their bowl filled at all times and then I feed a daily breakfast of 3 cut up strawberries, lettuce, a handful of blueberries, and sometimes a grape or two. As a treat I feed a couple pieces of unseasoned popcorn, this is only every once in a while. I change the bedding every two days and I do spot cleans whenever I feel its needed. I really hope I'm doing everything right, I love my boys and want to be the best possible rat dad I can be! Her are some photos of the cage! Chocolate and Moose really wanted to be held so they photobombed a few of them

Attachments

·
Registered
Coffee, Bagel, Piper, Sprout, Sonya, And 2 new rats coming soon!
554 Posts
Looks great! But, the floor on that cage is wore, I recommend covering that with flee since it hur there feet’s and they can develop bumblefoot!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I would definitely cover the shelves and ramps with fleece or some kind of material. Too much exposure to these could lead to bumblefoot. There are tutorials on YouTube on how to do this. If you go to the Dollar Store, you can get binder clips to secure any material to the shelves. I use Dollar Store tube socks for the ramps.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Sounds great!! You have a great cage set up. A bit of advice though, I would not do Mazuri as it is rather high in protein and not good for the boys. Stay with the Oxbow Adult food. I have a 20# bag of Mazuri someone gave me, still don't know what to do with it. For a veggie treat, I give them frozen peas, let them thaw or put them in a water bowel for fishing. Mine also love roasted butternut squash! Just keep an eye on them with the fruits and veggies. It will give them the runny poops that really stink. I do the veggies every other day.

Reactions: Boxes_scree

·
Registered
201 Posts
I recently got a lot of items for my cage and almost completely redid it and I'm super happy with how it looks now! I just got my two boys about a week ago and since then I've been doing nothing but research and planning. Th cage I have is the Petco Rat Manor. I have some Oxbow Timothy apple treats around the cage, a hammock, a hanging bed, a hanging crinkle tunnel, a bird toy with some notebook paper for nesting, a rope that stretches from the bottom to the top, a straw hut with some fleece in it, a little cleaned bird feather hanging, a water bottle, and a litterbox with So Phresh potty-training pearls. I used to have Care Fresh paper bedding at the bottom on top of fleece but I replaced it with just fleece to cut down on mess. I feed my rats Mazuri rat and mouse diet food and keep their bowl filled at all times and then I feed a daily breakfast of 3 cut up strawberries, lettuce, a handful of blueberries, and sometimes a grape or two. As a treat I feed a couple pieces of unseasoned popcorn, this is only every once in a while. I change the bedding every two days and I do spot cleans whenever I feel its needed. I really hope I'm doing everything right, I love my boys and want to be the best possible rat dad I can be! Her are some photos of the cage! Chocolate and Moose really wanted to be held so they photobombed a few of them
i would cover the floors with fleece and put a loose substrate in the bottom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts