Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off Tempy and Buddy have been cage mates for the past 3 months. Never had any real issues with them most of the time they slept together in their old cage. Two weeks ago we got two new boys Zeek and Nibbler. For the first 10 days Zeek and Nibbler lived in the bottom half of a new critter nation cage in the same room as Tempy and Buddy. I let both of the older guys climb on the new cage whenever they were out for free time so they could get use to eachother. In the 10th day we did introductions by putting them all in the top half of the new cage whic none of them had ever been inside. It has new toys, beds, hammoks, food/water, etc... Everything went great. The next day I let them all out to have free time together. There were some minor dominance struggles, but nothing serious. At one point Zeek and Nibbler even went inside Tempy and Buddy's cage and there were no territorial issues. So the following evening I stuck them all in the top half again and then did a through cleaning of the bottom. Then I let down the ramp. Everyone seemed fine so we left them all in there. (This was Friday night)

So last night I let them all out to play. Everything was fine until I was trying to rangle them in. I was using treats to get them all to come to me. Once ai put them in I gave them the treat. So at one point Tempy, Buddy and Zeek are all in and eating their treats. I'm sitting right ther, but looking for Nibbler under the cage. I hear a tussle so I yell, it brwaks up and Buddy runs off. I'm 95% sure the fight was between Buddy and Zeek. Anyway Buddy got hurt on his foot. It wouldn't stop bleeding (explained in other thread) so I cottled him all night and put him in the transport cage next to my bed all night.

So flash forward to this morning. I let them all out to play again, but Buddy just goes into one of the blankets and just stays there. Then when it's time to go back in he is physically resisting going back into the big cage. I thought maybe he was scared because he's still injured so I put him back in the transport cage on a table right next to the big cage. He slept there all day. Tonight I let them all out to play again and again Buddy just went under the blanket. So at one point I took them all over to the blanket and stuck them in there. I heard no big squabbles so I assumed they were good. But when it came time to put them away Buddy still resisted.

At first I was just going to let him stay in the small cage, but then I decided "no", I can't have one ostracized from the mischief. So I took Buudy and Tempy out and put them into a large bucket together to make sure they're not fighting. They were fine. So I just forced Buddy back into the big cage. I've been listening for an hour or so and have not heard any fighting, so I think he'll be OK. But my wife is worried that we're going to tramatize him by forcing him to be in there.

Am I doing the right thing? Or should I have left him in the smaller cage by himself?

·
Registered
601 Posts
I think you're fine, I would have done the same thing. IMO you should at least give them a chance to all get along before you move Buddy out permanently.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts