Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

so its been about three weeks with my lovely 2 boys. Things seem to be going well. however, with them being brought from a pet shop they seem terrified of the entire world. I tried the food method for trust training but they still don't trust enough food and were that scared they weren't coming out o their hidingspots in their cage when we were in the living room. I eventually decided to pick them up out of their cage and put them in my jumpers with the big pockets at the front. they love this and will happily sit in their whilst I sit in the bath talking to them. one has now started to come out and investigate the bath but if I try to touch him he jumps and either runs up my trouser leg or back in my pocket. The other rat will not come out and is very very very timid. he hardly ever comes out of his house when there is people in the room. I have noticed improvements to their behaviour and confidence, but wanted to check in and get advice/ tips from more experienced rat owners and make sure im doing it right x

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
You sound like you are already making progress! Pet store rats tend to take longer to come out of their shell. If they aren't taking food from you, you can try leaving your food of choice (melon, for example) inside their cage so they can 'test' it on their own time. Once they understand that it is safe (and delicious!) they will start to be less reluctant to deny it when you present it to them. My advice would be to take them out of the cage to spend time with you as often as you can manage so that they eventually learn you are not some scary beast who will hurt them. You can try reading a book out loud while in the bath with them or just talking (the reading option makes you seem a lot less silly than talking to yourself! haha) so that they get used to the sound of your voice. If you haven't tried it already, some yogurt, baby food, syrup or oatmeal on a spoon is a great bonding tool. They have to stick close to you to eat it and it is a high value reward so they are more likely to stay. I usually move the spoon closer towards me as they get more comfortable so that I am eventually able to pet the rat as it eats the treat. It took me some time before my first boys were rushing to the front of the cage to see me/be let out so do not be discouraged, some rats just take longer to accept you as friendly treat bearers.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey sorry for the late reply. Work and taming rats keeps me off this forum. I will take a look at the blog and thanks for all the advice. Its nice to know I am going in the right direction ��

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.