Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you do not know I have recently gotten her name is Sophia she is 5wks old and I would like for her to be with my other rat Lilly who is 7 months old but I'm not sure when to start to introduce them? I have heard 8wks old, till she gets bigger, the same age. I just don't know what to believe I want to be able to have them in the same cage as soon as I possibly can. I have shown Sophia to Lilly and she gets all excited jumps around, sniffs, and chatters a lot when Sophia is present to her. I also notice that some days Lilly just walks away and pays no mind to her when I have her out of the cage. Sophia on the other hand she seem very interested in Lilly all the time when Sophia is in her cage and Lilly walks by she gets all excited like she wants to play with her. I don't want Sophia to get hurt even if it's just play fight. What should I do?? Is what I'm doing wrong??

This picture is of how I let Lilly interact with Sophia. I am usually holding Sophia in my hands while Lilly free plays about, sometimes I have my sister hold Lilly to let them get to know each other.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
First off I would recommend getting Sophia a little 5 week old friend. Introductions are a lot kinder to babies when done in pairs, not to mention she will plague Lilly less if she has a same aged playmate to pounce on. It also helps you be safe for the future so Sophia doenst get left on her own.

Then I would give it until 7 or 8 weeks, see how they go then. Have a read of the intros thread on my site (in behaviour), I'd look at the carrier method ideally. Sometimes adult females get a bit fed up of too young babies and can take a dislike or be mean to them, mostly out of annoyance (hence the suggestion of 2), leaving it until they are a bit older helps as they are less likely to try and feed off the adult.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts