Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I pick my rats up, I put my hand on the ground facing up behind the rat, and one in front. Typically, the rat tries to back up from the front hand, and crawls on the back hand. Usually when I do this though, when I lift up, my rat has enough time to "grab" something so it makes it hard to take her out. I don't want to rip her legs off.. What do I do?

·
Registered
30 Posts
yep same thing here... first week was **** because he grabbed everything in site to not come out but after a week he got more loose and only slightly tried to grab on the way out. As of yesterday and today he is grabbing like mad again and sometimes squeeks. You have to squueze him fairly hard or he slips out of my hands

any better way like OP asked?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Try cupping your rat from the sides, making sure you let them have a sniff at your hands first, it might take a few tried but eventually they will get used to the routine and climb onto your hand willingly, took me only 3 days with my oldest rat but the young two will only let me pick them up if they choose to climb onto my hand first xD their so picky

·
Registered
143 Posts
Your rats need to trust you more, maybe.
Usually my rats are fine with me picking them up WHEN THEY WANT to come with me. Hands in general seem to be a threat to my white rats( this might have to do with the fact that they see very little and one in particular is almost blind), so sometimes I just go to their cage and call them so they jump on me.
I take it that if a rat squeaks it's because they are pretty scared, so I wouldn't preasure the rat to be picked up if they are that scared.
One of my rats climbs on my hands on command, but unluckily I couldn't teach the others to do so, but it's a great way to pick them up without stressing them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts