Rat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i was just watching this programm and it showed this really cool way to help cure rats who have problems with being handles. ok well basically instead of useing a hand to stroke them wich can be thretaning you con use a paintbrish!lol i know it sound strange, but basicall you just stroke them with the paintbrish instead of stroking them with your hand or picking them up. its much less threating for the animal, and they dont feel the temp difference(your hand is warmer). so just a few times a day try stroking them with the brush, and when there ok with being stroked with that you can try it with your hands. it worked wonders for my friends hostile male rat. now hes as sweet as aa rat could be!!!lol hope this helps anyone who mat have problems :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well its called talking to animals and it just so happened that there were rats on there...but i did spend about 30mins to an hour searching for it after hearing that it would be giving advice on how to handle shy or aggressive rats!lol

·
Registered
192 Posts
Here is what I have done to also help with that, but the rat has to be known to like a treat.

If your rat LOVES a certain treat, but is shy or aggressive, what you do, is you grab the rat with your hand around him and your thumb under the arms. Then you immediately give the rat the treat that he LOVES... the rat will forget that he is being held and enjoy the meal... when the rat is done, he will again remember where he is, so then he might squirm, so let him go. Each time he will be easier and easier to pick up, and each time he learns more and more that the hand is not a bad thing. Soon the rat will practically beg you to take him out of the cage. Ours follow us around as we walk about the room, and they beg to come out... sometimes they are so cute I cannot help it, and I put one on my shoulder, or give them each a banana chip. I am a sucker for rat begging. You know the sort.... where they follow you about the room and try to stuff their noses between the bars of the cage begging to come out... and when you stick your finger through to give a little pet... they will fight over access to the finger! One will push the other out of the way, and that one will push back, and so on. It's funny how they are such attention whores now, compared to when we first got them.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I could see that working...

I use a paintbrush with my rats all the time, but not for that reason. It gets quite hot here in the summer, and I paint them with cool water.

·
Registered
39 Posts
what kind of paintbrush?

I'd love to try it out with Ruby. I can't get close to get without her trying to sink her teeth into my fingers. I have to use leather work gloves to coerce her out of the cage to clean it (she grew up with plenty of rat contact and no human contact.)

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have a little broom and dustpan for cleaning cages that I use and my boys love to try and grab it and pull it away to play. I've actually tried petting them with it before but it always turns out in popcorning and wrestling matches. :D

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ya im preety sure it can transfer to almost any animal. i saw the same person using this tequniqe on horses dogs and a pid all in one programme

·
Registered
39 Posts
I went out yesterday and bought a soft bristle, medium size paint brush, and tried using it with my shy/aggressive rat. After she tried attacking it and realized she couldn't damage it, she became pretty complacent and indifferent to being stroked with it.

So I think this works rather well, and may eventually save me from a good number of puncture wounds and blood loss. :roll:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts