Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went kinda crazy at Joan Fabrics in the Christmas fabrics section (ok I went crazy in the whole store) so Im working my way through a pile of holiday hammocks for the boys. I LOVE to sew and Ive been doing it for a long time so I don't actually know how easy this is for non-sewers so Ill try and be really painfully articulate, its pretty basic, all straight lines. But a sewing machine WILL make this easy (ok possible)

This will make a two sided (diff or the same fabric) with rope loops to use with shower curtain hooks
Needed: fabric, cotton rope (I use clothes line) or fabric loops

(to make a square)
1. put fabric wrong sides out (pretty sides touching). Fold over one corner to make a triangle slightly larger that desired hammock size. Cut out square DO NOT CUT FOLD

This gives you a (decent) square

2. Find a sewing machine. Start about 2'' past the middle on one of the sides, leave ~ 3/4in seam allowance. Sew up to 1.5 in from the corner, place one end of the rope between the the fabric sheets with about 3/4 in hanging out, stitch over, back stitch, stitch over. Continue to corner, turn in corner and complete rope loop. Do the same thing you did for the first part making sure you have a loop IN the fabric sandwich

corners should look like this:

3. Finish the other three corners and sew until you're ~4in from where you started sewing.

4. Turn rightside out by pulling fabric through the hole you left

5. Top stitch around entire hammock and TADA!!! (that wasnt so bad was it?)

·
Registered
532 Posts
nice :D if i had a sewing machine i would make some hammocks, but my mother stole it from me :( so my boys get jean legs for now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a sewing machine but they chew thru so many of em so often....i dont even bother sewing anymore...i just fold the fabric in half and put the ties on the corners, i think they like it better cuz they tend to go in the middle for nap time.... those are really nice tho...my boys would gladly sleep then chew em to shreds then peepee on what was left lol

·
Registered
150 Posts
I love to sew, but I make ALL my hammocks, tubes, ect by HAND. Arg, is it annoying and takes so long, but I can't figure out how to use a sewing machine.

When I get my own place this summer, I am going to buy a sewing machine and crafting table and figure it out, haha!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I might have a go at doing a hammock like yours. My problem is I only have one of those small jml ones so it makes it hard to work on. So need to buy a proper sewing machine.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Luckily my boys are more concerned with detaching the felt from the shelves than chewing up their hammocks :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought a nice smart hammock for my darlings, thinking if I spent some money (£7) it might last...I was wrong! (6 rats should have taught me that by now!)
Ah well, I think I'll buy some nice cheap value jeans and hang chunks of them up :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts