Rat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little while ago I noticed Fiona was walking funny. She kind of wobbles…I thought it might be an ear infection, but then I noticed her eyes were twitching, like she is looking up and down very fast, which makes me think it’s something neurological. I’m afraid she may have eaten something poisonous during free-range time last night, but I have no clue what it could be. I feel terrible I didn’t notice sooner, I had to get up early and go to a class this morning and didn’t get a chance to look in on the girls until this afternoon.

I have an appointment at the vet in an hour. I think I will take all the girls, even though the other three seem fine. I am hoping they didn’t eat whatever Fiona did.

Has anybody else experienced anything like this before?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,535 Posts
Re: I think Fiona ate something poisonous

I hope she's okay! Another option could be a stroke... :( Good luck at the vets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: I think Fiona ate something poisonous

Well, the good news is Rose, Lana, and Saki are okay.

But the vet confirmed what I had been afraid of, at best Fiona ingested something poisonous, at worst she had a stroke or possibly has a brain tumor.

I had to leave her at the clinic, I'm supposed to go back in an hour, but I think they are going to keep her overnight. She was so good, she was grooming me during the exam and was very cooperative for the vet.

I'm so worried about my sweet girl. :(

edit:typo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Re: I think Fiona ate something poisonous

thats so sad...i really hope she is going to be ok.

best of luck to you and Fiona
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,416 Posts
Re: I think Fiona ate something poisonous

you say you think she might have eaten something poisonous, what kinds of poison might she have access to? it might help the vet with treatment if you know what it might be. poisons can kill in hours if not taken care of properly immediately.

either way, good luck with your poor sick baby.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Re: I think Fiona ate something poisonous

I hope shes okaai good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: I think Fiona ate something poisonous

Fiona is home! She received sub-q fluids, a tranquilizer (to help with the wobbling/tremors,) and charcoal from the vet. She is doing better, her eyes are normal again, but she has obviously sustained neurological damage and has trouble controlling her fine motor functions.

I still don’t know what she could have eaten, I discussed in depth the rats’ environment (both cage and free-range area) with the vet. Although it seems likely that she ate something poisonous/toxic (which is why the vet gave her charcoal) he’s not 100% sure.

So…right now we’re playing the ‘wait and see game.’ Hopefully she will continue to improve, there’s not much more the vet can do for her, especially since there is no definite diagnosis for her condition.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: I think Fiona ate something poisonous

Fiona has been doing a bit better, she is walking normally but with a head tilt. The thing that worries me is she occasionally falls over on her side. The vet wanted to see her again so today I took her to the clinic for a check-up.

The vet tells me he now doesn’t think she ate something toxic, and that they have narrowed the cause of her symptoms down to an inner ear infection or a pituitary tumor. He sent her home with Baytril, which I have to administer for the next two weeks.

My question is how do I give her the Baytril? The vet gave me a syringe and I’m supposed to squirt it in her mouth, but that seems very stressful (for both of us!) Would it be better to disguise it in food? If so, any recommendations?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,535 Posts
You can put Baytril in food... oatmeal or baby food works well, I've heard. Or Ensure (strawberry seems a hit).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Forensic, I tried the Ensure and she ate it right up. What a little piggy. :)

Gah, I tasted the Baytril- nasty stuff! Glad I have an alternative to trying to squirt it in her mouth. :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,535 Posts
Good! I'm glad you found some way to get her to take it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for the responses and well wishes. I really do appreciate it, I've been so worried about my girly. :wink:

Giddy, Fiona says thanks for the scritches! She loooves scritches. :D
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top