Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And as long as I'm making a third post, I might as well share some more about myself and my rats.

I've had rats for close to 15 years now. They were the first pet I had once I was old enough to take care of a pet on my own (with some gentle reminders from my parents that the cage needed cleaned whether I wanted to do it or not). My first rat was actually a solo male, named Neal - the people at the shop I got him from didn't bother telling me that rats are social and really need to be kept in pairs or groups. We were very bonded, probably in large part because I was the closest thing to another rat he had. He was... ugly. He was the product of generations of accidental litters and was the ugliest rat I've ever seen. He was a weird mottled black/brown/rust color.

After that I had a male pair, Nicodemus and Napoleon. Napoleon had severe problems with mycoplasmosis, and only lived about a year. Nicodemus was black with a white stripe down his stomach, and Napoleon was black hooded. Both were dumbos.

Then there were two adopted boys, Sprocket and Plumpy (they were VERY large boys). They were two already when they came to live us, from a friend who wasn't able to keep them because he was moving to a place rats weren't allowed. Both boys were black hooded, one dumbo and one

Now I have my two girls, Arrietty and Ayame. Arrietty is black hooded, and Ayame beige hooded with ruby eyes. Arrietty is a real trouble maker - the kind I have to keep a close eye on even in a rat-proofed room. It's amazing the things you can climb if you try hard enough.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Welcome to the ratforum. My boy Elijah is also a troublemaker. He will climb into trash cans, onto my desk - any naughty place he can find! He loves to make a mess and knock things over. I have always assumed it was because he is of superior intelligence and normal free ranging bores him. He is always the one to completely ignore toys and constantly finds creative ways of getting into or on top of things. He is a little rascal just like Arrietty. Interesting names by the way, where are they from?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.