Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our sweet Sherlock has gone to the Rainbow Bridge as of today, and now his mate Mr Watson is left alone. We will not be adding more rats to our home as my husband and I grow much too emotionally attached to them and it becomes extremely difficult for us when old age and respiratory illnesses start taking toll. We also have 5 dogs and we just really don't want to add more animals at this time. Sherlock and Mr Watson were rescues we found last year at the local animal shelter near the end of our previous 2 ratties' lives and we took them in to give them better lives--not because we were looking for more ratties.

Now that Mr Watson is left alone, I'm seeking advice on how to help him have the best rest-of-his-life that we can possibly give him. I understand that giving as much out-of-cage time as we can is important, and we've committed to doing this. He is not the 'tamest' of rats and likes to explore so I have to keep a serious eye on him at all times while out of cage as our home is not totally rat-proof and rat-safe.

Please let me know if you know of any great bonding type accessories that would allow me to 'carry' Mr Watson around the house with me while being 'hands-free'. I've heard of neck wrap type ratty-loungers that hang around your neck and the ratty can lounge in the folds of the fabric, but I can't find anything online to buy for the life of me! If you know of anything resembling this, please post a URL or private message me.

Also please let me know if there's anything I need to do to ensure he doesn't get depressed from losing Sherlock. We want to do everything possible to make the rest of Mr Watson's life pleasant. Mr Watson is on doxy/baytril for the rest of his life to keep myco flareups in check, in case that's worth noting. He is doing great on these meds and the vet checked him out today and was happy with how he's doing (compared to the last few months).

Please let me know anything you think will help us give Mr Watson the best rest-of-his-life! Thanks!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Any idea how old Mr Watson is?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The shelter paperwork we received last year said their "birth date" was June 2013, which could mean they were born in June or they were bought in June (at 3-6mos age I would guess), so we guesstimate ~2yo right now.

·
Registered
190 Posts
A lot of what to carry him around in really depends on his personality - I have a few who are by and large shoulder rats. They're nosy and would lose their minds mot being able to see what all is going on. Likewise I have a couple of others who, if given the option of my should or, say, the hood of a sweatshirt, would hang out in the hood all day every day. Try a few different things, and see what appeals to him, really. If you have any infinity scarves, try those (I know it's coming into warm weather, some of the lighter material helps a lot with this) and he might find a snuggly spot in there to hole up in as well.

·
Registered
870 Posts
The Rat Fan Club (http://ratfanclub.org/sales.html) sells the snuggle scarf. Etsy and Ebay also have bonding pouches that you can wear around your neck and have the rat over or inside your clothes. If you are handy I found a great tutorial by searching "Tutorials for Common Rat Hammocks and Accessories" it has lots of things you can make. I made a small sack and sewed bra hooks into each side of the top that I can hook to my bra and have a rat inside my shirt. It's just a variation on the bonding pouch. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you both very much!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts