Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holly is a timid golden retriever who lives with my boyfriend, his parents and myself. She doesn’t get walked as often as she should and she stays in half a kitchen which is only 3 by 2.5 metres and has a table, chairs, bedside cabinet (?), and her large dog bed (under t6he table) in it too. She isn’t aloud in the front room or the tiled half of the kitchen.

It’s better now than it was in winter because when they put her in the conservatory it’s warmer.

I remember Boxing Day, when the family sat around the table for a meal. Holly was put in the conservatory and told to lie down. She did but I wanted her to be sat next to me really! :) It was OK until Holly stood up. My bf’s dad stood up and went mad at he - it was so unreasonable! She was only stood up! I didn’t eat anything after that because I was so disturbed.

This happens a lot. Holly’s a dog though! She should be running around the house, barking and playing. She’s only six and she’s already having fits (5 so far!) Could that be because of stress?

I don’t mean to sound panicky and I’m not really blaming them but, well should I? Maybe I’m just used to animals having the run of the house...

“If the cat wants your chair it will have your chair. You can have the floor”
hehe :D

I don’t feel as though it’s my place to say anything really. I’ve mentioned things to my bf’s mum and she says that she wishes it were different but doesn’t want to make an uproar about it.

Anyway, whenever my bf’s dad shouts at Holly and I’m there I tell him she’s not stupid at all! :D He doesn’t do that as much any more. hehe.

What do you think to all this then? Can I do anything about it or is it too late?

·
Registered
22 Posts
if your bf's dad is only shouting, that isn't cruelty (officialy :( ). i dont know about the small area to be in. i think it's probably technicaly ok, it's just not fun for the dog. do you know, if they don't like her much maybe, would they be willing to let you find another home for her? someone who would spend the time and give her the space to make her happy? if not, maybe you could take special times to go play with her, take her on walks, play games and such.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yikes!!!! I don't know how it works in the UK, but in the US, I'd call the Humane Society to see...if I weren't a telophonophobi, that is. They could confirm if this was animal neglect or cruelty, or if it's just an animal lovers sadness to see a dog not allowed to be a dog.

I'm not sure about the dog on the other side of our back yard's fence. She's left outside every day of the year. She has her shed, but how comfortable can that be to a dog that's been here since we moved in over 11 years ago? She's at least 13 now. She gets played with, but in Nebraska, we have extreme weather. It's blisteringly hot in summers and bitterly cold in winters. Poor girl...I've tried to get my mom to report it, but she doesn't think it's abuse or neglect. Fool. I'd call it in, but, like I said, I'm terrified of the phone. It's a serious problem...She doesn't starve, at least...I'd give anything to help her...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Make an anon call to the RSPCA - state that you are not sure if there is anything wrong but that you are worried about the dog. They will then do a random visit just to check things out.

I did it a couple of years back - it did take about 3 weeks before they came out but that was because it wasn't classed as immedicate danger. The couple had to build a proper dog house and make sure they provided food and water (the puppy was being left outside in an open yard with no shelter, food or water - they had an older dog who I think didn't like the puppy so the puppy got stuck outside)

Here is the national contact details: http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RSPCA/Utility/ContactChecklist
but the website will also be able to show you where your local centre is

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hmmm, I'm not too sure what the law says about living conditions etc but when you hear things like this it makes me wonder why people even bother having pets. It doesn't sound like your Bf's dad even likes poor Holly. :evil:

If it were me, I would call the RSPCA, if not to report neglect at least to get some advice on how to help the animal. (The room sounds too cramped to me, she would need room to move around etc)
Again, if it were me, I would be offering to take her out for walks, and make them as long as possible (treats in pocket of course!!!) :D

Sounds like a bit of an awkward situation for you, as you sound like you care for the dog, but obviously you don't want to cause tension between you and your bf's parents, could cause probs for you and bf.

It's hard to say just reading your post, but it's a decision you will have to make yourself, as only you know what your relationship with them is like.

Hope things get better for Holly. Thinking of you both x

1 - 7 of 7 Posts