Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had Raisin now for about two months. He came with an abscess and it was treated at the vet who drained it and gave him antibiotics. About two weeks later he developed another one. Again we took him to the vet for the same treatment. Since then he seems to have one just about all the time. I have now become very proficient at draining and cleaning them.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind paying to take him to the vet but if it’s something I can do myself then why not? I honestly think it’s less stressful for him if I do the draining. The vet has said he tried to bite him several times. That doesn’t happen when I do it. Unlike the vet I take my time and comfort him. Sure he squeals a little but he never really tries to get away and he certainly has never tried to bite me. As dumb as it sounds I think he knows I’m trying to help him so he tolerates it.

My concern is why does he always seem to have one? Case in point I was draining one last night and while doing so I felt the early stages of another one. So I’m sure I’ll be doing it again in a few days. I know an abscess is usually the result of a bite but I honestly don’t think the two of them are fighting that much. To the best of my knowledge they have been together since birth.

I’m not overly concerned because he seems perfectly healthy. He’s eating fine and is very energetic during free range time. Is it possible that some rats are just more prone to abscesses with no major health risks?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
abscesses are the result of bacterial contamination that results in infection

if the infection is not cleared, meaning that if the bacteria is not eliminated & prevented from re-entering the body while the wound is still healing then the infection will reoccur thus creating additional abscesses.

It may take a very intensive round of antibiotics & a much more invasive cleaning than what you or possible this doctor has the ability to do

Minor surgery may be required in order to cut away the affected area... heavy rounds of antibiotics given intravenously & I heard of additional procedures of hard to cure infections being treated with small amount of time released "pearls" of medicine being placed in the wound.

Time to consult the vet with much more depth or find another vet that is better able to provide the care necessary to stop the infection once & for all

I am not sure I know of any conditions that results in chronic abscesses but I'll do some research & see if I can find anything. That way you can print it off & offer it to the vet.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll talk to my vet again. He was blaming it on fighting. But as I said I really don't think they are doing that much fighting. Not that end up with scratches that I know of anyway.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
you may need to separate the rat that has abscesses until all infection clears up... you can't assume anything such as, you don't think they are fighting

infections are nasty things & they wreck havoc on the internal organs so you really want to get this cleared up once & for all

1 - 4 of 4 Posts