Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been asking a lot of these lately and I have one more.

How do you afford the bedding for your rats? I've been looking into towels and fleece because using shredded or pellet paper has gotten way too expensive for the double critter nation cage. It takes almost a whole $20+ package a week to spread enough through the 4 levels.

Any tips or help?

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
Fleece is very economical, but it is more work. You'll likely have to spot clean and change it out more often. It depends on whether you'd like to pay for the convenience of standard substrates or save a few bucks but clean a bit more with liners.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I use fleece. It is reusable and way less messy.

I would advise against towels as they can be dangerous if a toe gets caught in loose strings.

There is also aspen & newspaper. A huge bag of aspen is like $10.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I use fleece for my guinea pigs and plan to use a similar system for my rats. (a few years ago I used carefresh and aspen, going through about 1 large bag every 2 weeks.. my wallet was not happy)

I'll be using fleece + uhaul pads sewn into liners for the cage. I had to wash it weekly for my pigs, so assuming I change out their liners every 5-7 days or so, and including the other fleece hammocks and such I will be washing bi-weekly, that's about $10-15 a month for a large bottle of free & clear detergent.

I paid about twice as much per month for aspen/carefresh back in the day.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Isn't aspen bed for rats due to the dust it has?
From the Admin area: Recommended Bedding

Aspen:

Hardwood, can be chipped or shredded. Fairly cheap, absorbs and contains odor well, but is often dusty and has a bit of a wood smell. Can also be a pain getting stray pieces out of carpet and fabrics.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Like the other people on this thread use, I use fleece. It looks nice is cheap and reusable and easier to get poop off of and to clean. But it smells after three days. And you have to spot clean at least once daily.

·
Registered
42 Posts
From the Admin area: Recommended Bedding

Aspen:

Hardwood, can be chipped or shredded. Fairly cheap, absorbs and contains odor well, but is often dusty and has a bit of a wood smell. Can also be a pain getting stray pieces out of carpet and fabrics.
Yes I know all of that. I meant to say bad not bed. I have my head screwed on lol

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Yes I know all of that. I meant to say bad not bed. I have my head screwed on lol
No aspen is fine. You shouldn't use cedar or non kiln dried pine. (*some say no pine at all- research & decided yourself)

I would prefer better quality aspen. I never found it very dusty but it is messy and gets everywhere! lol But it is safe to use

1 - 10 of 10 Posts