Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I'm Danielle. I've been to this forum a few times while Googling for random, rat-related things. I decided to finally make a profile here. Trouble is, I'm at work and totally breaking the rules! So pix will have to come later...

My current little cuties are: Baldur, my neutered Dumbo-Rex (seriously the cutest thing in the world!); and Hope, my little PEW girl. I have them set up in a large ferret cage in the den, but I'm looking for a cheap and/or easy-to-make portable, easily cleaned playpen so I can have them in the living room with me (where I spend most of my time at home). I love to sit in my bathroom with their toys and play in there, but it's hard to make time to do that every single day. A playpen I can set up on the floor next to the couch would be amazing!

I'm excited to be here and connect with other rat-lovers. They truly are magical creatures!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello! Baldur sounds gorgeous! I have two dumbo boys and they are so funny. What colour is he? What a lovely contrast to have a sweet PEW girl too.
Good luck with the cage set-up. I always used to have the cage in the living room so they could come out at their leisure, or still have my company when they were in their cage. They're in the kitchen now as I have more time to play with them in the evenings (and my other half isn't keen enough to have them in the living room - the boys can be a bit niffy!).

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum!

They sell a playpen here that has a cover, though not exactly cheap
http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/rat/

When looking for a good playpen I would suggest something high, with straight sides (not bars), and nothing they can chew through like mesh. Otherwise you will have escapes and once they figure out they can escape that is all they will be trying to do, making for a very frustrating playtime lol

You can make your own playpen by using either posterboard like this and taping many together to make whatever size you need. It should be high enough and leave a ever slight gap when taping and you can fold it up for storage.
There is also coroplast which you can buy at different sizes, score the top layer to fold and also tape different ones together.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts