Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my pet rat for a couple of months now and I made sure to take things slow, to get him to trust me...

However, he still won't let me pick him up. He'll stand right at the cage door and let me pet him all I want but when I try and pick him up he makes a loud squeaking noise. He doesn't run away or cower in fear after doing so, he goes right back to letting me pet him. Am I at risk of getting bit if I try and pick him up or should I just go for it?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I'd say go for it. Sounds like he is just a bit timid, maybe insecure about having his feet off the ground. Seeing that you say he doesn't freak & run away from you... go ahead & pick him up but be sure to cradle him comfortably as soon as possible so that he feels secure.

This in no way means you won't be bitten. Just means you need to move forward or be satisfied as to where you are now.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Depending on the rat; some just don't like being picked up out of the cage. Ritchie, one of my boys, loves being out of his cage but if I put my hand into his cage to pick him up and bring him out - you'd think he was being murdered the way he screams.

Try just picking him up slowly (ignoring the crocodile tears lol) and try and get him used to the fact that he WILL be picked up whether he cries about it or not. (When he's up and out, give him lots of cuddles, like Julia says)

The only time I wouldn't suggest the hardass technique is if, when picking him up, he looks as though he's getting ready to bite - usually mine bend their heads underneath to bite my knuckles (if they dare o_O) If that happens, I suggest putting him down gently, trying again later. Eventually, the more you do it, the more he'll get used to it

EDIT: cleaned it up - teaches me not to proof read

·
Registered
981 Posts
I have a rat who squeaks every single time I pick her up. She does it less now, but she still does it.

I don't think you're at risk of getting bit. Sounds to me like she's just acting a little afraid, but not aggressive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts