Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just lost one rat (Rhona) due to her having an infected mammary gland. I felt a lump and thought it was a tumor. So we took her to the vets, and the vet took a sample. Dad didnt want to spend £120 on getting it removed, so the vet said we could leave it. It got bigger (and bigger) and it was starting to affect her movement and was beginning to touch the floor of the cage, so we took her in to get her euthanised. That was on Wednesday.

Now, I have just felt a lump on Roxi! She's my first rat (along with Rosie) and we have an amazing bond. It's a peasized lump at the moment, but its stressing me out. I hate this part when it comes to owning pets! :(

I am keeping an eye on it at the moment. If it gets bigger, she will be going to the vets. Dad knows how much I love Roxi (like I love this rat to death) so maybe he'll agree to getting it operated on... Maybe. Roxi is nearly 2 though. If we were to go ahead with operating, what are the chances of her making it? I know there is risk with all anaesthesias, but with her... she's a small animal compared to a dog, and she's not the youngest rat in the world.

Another thing on my mind now! Great... :(

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about Rhona and now Roxi. Yes, this is the crappy part about having pets. I'm a newbie, I've had my boys for 4months now and when I read threads like this, it becomes a reality that my boys will pass one day. I love them both so very much. They have brought me so much joy. There is nothing better then getting all that love from them. I hope your dad will consider paying for Roxi's operation and treatment. Sending hugs and happiness your way.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I was so scared with mine too, but Cookie and Cindy had surgeries for the same thing when they were almost two. They healed quickly and are both very healthy two year old rats now. My Dash would have had surgery too, but she also has tumors in her lungs. A rat has only a 4% chance of dying under anethesia, and can make three more often than people think. No surgery is risk free, but it's much safer than people think. If the lump is only pea sized, best to get it removed now. It will only grow and be harder to remove later. In the meantime, try giving her turkey tail mushroom powder, wheatgrass powder, and apricot baby food. I've done this with Dash, and her tumor growth was dramatically reduced and she's in the best health of her life months after the vet said she had weeks to live.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will definitely try that food mix you said :)

I don't know if dad will be willing to take her to the vets right now... He paid £60 for the tests on Rhona's lump and another £60 to have her euthanised (euthanasia isn't normally that expensive, its normally £30, but the vets were taking forever with another client, leaving us in a rush to get back home, so he asked if they could keep her body)

I have told dad about the lump and everything, I just hope he will agree to taking her in soon.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I had a rat in April who had tumor removal surgery. She did well with the exception of her ending up with a second intention wound from ripping her stitches out...twice! I kept the wound clean and kept her wrapped for a few weeks. She hated being wrapped but sorta got used to it.

My rat's tumour came back in the exact same spot several months later and it grew to three times the size it originally was. However, when I detected her first tumor her surgery was done within the week. To me this gave me more time with her and all the time and money I spent on her care was worth it. Although she is no longer with me, her memories are. She passed away a over a week ago.

Your dad is responsible when it comes to the health of pets that live under his roof. Some people see rats as lesser life forms and don't understand. Some vets also offer payment plans as well.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay so I had Roxi out today and I took her downstairs for a change. I sat on the sofa with her and she fell asleep on my shoulder and I was just stroking her while she slept. I don't know if dad is giving into letting her have surgery, or if he's just tired and not thinking properly (he gets tired a lot xD) but he didn't say no to her having surgery... Yesterday however, he was. So i don't know what will happen with her.

I am hoping surgery!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The lump is getting bigger. Still not visible unless you really feel for it, but its bigger.

As for vets...
Dad said if she needed surgery, he will let her have the operation (thank god) which i'm really relieved about. I love this rat so so much, we have a very stong bond and I cant just let her suffer with a lump for the rest of her life. Yes, I wont be getting any christmas presents from him, but thats fine. I just want her to be okay.

Just one problem. I was going to phone up today and book her in for an appointment so we can go from there, but he said that if we have to wait for ages (last time we went with Rhona, we had to wait half an hour (it would have been over that, but the receptionist managed to put us in ahead of another client who was waiting, she didnt mind) and he was not happy!) he would walk out without even seeing the vet.
So I dont want to book the appointment and then get there, wait a while and then if it takes too long, go home again. It will waste our time, and the vets's time and they are lovely vets.

He's in a super bad mood today, which is so annoying because wednesdays are pretty much the only time we can take her to the vets. I'm always busy on saturdays, its closed on sundays and the rest of the week i'm at college. And there is no way I am letting him take her without me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts