Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I call on your wisdom and vast experience once again :)

I had a coversation with the vetinary nurse today (she got in a bit of a huff because I asked for some more Baytril because I've just run out, and she says I should ask the vet, shouldn't self medicate blah blah - don't worry, I don't 'self medicate'. Cough/Sniffles/Sneezes get a week on antibiotics, if they're not better by then they go to the vets and my vet says this is fine!) and she says that they only give Baytril as it's the only liquid antibiotic.

Now, I'm sure this isn't the case, because I've heard of a lot more antibiotics than Baytril!

Can anyone give me a list of rat-friendly alternatives to Baytril? I'm going to take it next time I go to the vets, ask him to look into them. I'm worried about a possible resistance forming (although I've been told that Baytril is made with an anti-resistance formula or something) and being told there's no alternative.

There IS an alternative - even if I force it on them :D

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Here is the RMCA Drug Chart which has been printed out countless times and taken to lots of vets for rat treatments.

http://www.rmca.org/Articles/dchart.htm

Only problem with your medicating for a week with the baytril is that 7 days is not long enough to cure your rat and anything under 10-14 days will cause the bacteria to become drug resistant. :(

What strength is your baytril? (mg/ml) and how do you figure out what to dose for each rat?

For respiratory you might need to double up your abs (the one-two punch can be very very effective). Baytril is usually paired up with doxycycline, I have heard of baytril and clavamox and my own personal fav is baytril/zithromax. There are a lot of good drugs out there, but its possible your vet doesn't realize that their cat/dog meds are used on rats regularly as well. :p

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very very much, and I'll certainly talk to him about it next time I go (which, knowing my luck will be next week! lol)

I only use the dosages that the vets given me, for my larger rats it's 0.10ml daily, for the younger/smaller ones it's 0.05ml daily. I've not strayed from these because well, I don't pretend to know anything about dosages. I'm completely ignorant when it comes to this kind of thing - I'm told what to do, and I do it.

I use it for 7 days, again, as I've been told. But if it's advisable for longer I'll certainly leave it for 10 days minimum, and continue with my theory that if there's been no improvement after 5/7 days, take them to the vet. What do you think?

I'm glad I'm asking all this really, I wouldn't of realised that otherwise. I tend to trust what I'm told a little too easily I'm beginning to think

This one-two punch thing - Jake at the moment has a constant on-off crackly chest, he's been on abs for 3 weeks (although cycstits played a part in that) and all that seems to clear his chest up is a dose of anti-inflammatory every week. What would you reccommend for that? I'm fairly sure it's not allergy related, as we once thought, since I've changed the use of everything around him! It's been an on-off problem for 4 or 5 months now, and if his injection tonight doesn't clear it up, I'd like to go back with some suggestions for my vet to try?

Edit - I forgot to mention that I don't know the strength, although, the small label I've got for it does say "10 x Baytril 2.5%" so I guess somewhere in there is the answer you want? Lol

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Sometimes baytril just doesn't cut it on its own. I would get the vet to add doxycycline to his regime (its a very common combo). I don't usually add anti-inflammatories unless there is real trouble getting air into inflamed lungs. If he's just wheezing and crackling. I would say the next step is adding to the baytril.

Even my wonderful vet has said some really silly things, so I double check with people and information I can glean from other sources. Never believe the first thing you hear, if you hear it repeated often enough its most likely true. :)

http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_agents/enrofloxacin_baytril.php

http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_agents/doxycycline.php

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Ooops forgot to add...

A general rule of thumb when medicating is you should see some improvement within 4-5 days, if not you need to change your meds or add another med to the regime. It all depends on how sick and how long the animal has been sick before you see any improvement.

A minimum course of meds is 14 days, a more preferred course is 3 weeks :)

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great! Thanks very much. If I have to take him again, I'll take him those pages as print outs and if he doesn't want to mess with it, I'll try another vet as a 2nd opinion.

My vet is very strange with anti-inflammatorys, he seems to like them, but he will only give them once I take them in, after they've been on Baytril for a while. He's quite good at trusting my judgement - if something doesn't feel right, I'll tell him and he'll treat accordingly.

I think it's more of a case of he's set in his ways (my family have been going to this vets for 20+ years, and he's been there for most of that) and, if it works, why knock it? I won't deny that his treatment of Baytril and then, if needed, anti-inflammatorys, works, because it's always made them better (except on the odd occasion - like Jake) BUT if there is a better way of doing it (maybe without the injections - my poor furries don't like them much) I'd like to explore those option.

Also, what form in Doxy in? I think the nurse I was speaking to was under the impression that Baytril is the only one because it's liquid small animals won't take tablets as easy - although I know for a fact that they do if you play them up as a treat lol.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lilspaz68 said:
Ooops forgot to add...

A general rule of thumb when medicating is you should see some improvement within 4-5 days, if not you need to change your meds or add another med to the regime. It all depends on how sick and how long the animal has been sick before you see any improvement.

A minimum course of meds is 14 days, a more preferred course is 3 weeks :)
I have to say, I usually do see improvement quickly, because I catch the problems pretty much straight away. I guess after having them a while I've realised now what is getting better and what isn't. I'm a bit of a vet freak, so if things don't improve at all or get worse in the first few days I'm taking a morning off work and rushing them to the vets o_O

14 days you say? Is that for anything? I could understand with resp. infections because some of those buggers can dig deep and if you stop too early they'll come back quickly and nastily. I've only usually been told the regular week - for like toe infections etc etc because by the end of the week, they're cleared up anyway!

This is an amazing insight for me, by the way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts