Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can regular black ants hurt rats or make them sick?? Today I discovered ants on the table where I keep my rats cage. At first I didn't see them in the cage, but when I did I immediately removed my two rats and thoroughly cleaned everything, throwing out the shavings and cardboard and then giving the whole cage a good scrub in the bathtub. Now I've put them upstairs away from the invading ants which we are now combating. But I'm worried they might still get in the cage somehow. :(

·
Registered
335 Posts
I wouldn't think they'd be a problem. Black ants don't usually bite or carry diseases or anything like that. More than likely they were attracted to the treats or food stashed around the cage.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Can regular black ants hurt rats or make them sick?? Today I discovered ants on the table where I keep my rats cage. At first I didn't see them in the cage, but when I did I immediately removed my two rats and thoroughly cleaned everything, throwing out the shavings and cardboard and then giving the whole cage a good scrub in the bathtub. Now I've put them upstairs away from the invading ants which we are now combating. But I'm worried they might still get in the cage somehow. :(
I too have a bit of a black ant problem. Especially in summer. I've also come across a few in the cage. I don't like it, but I don't think they can cause any harm to our Ratties.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts