Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So some ants discovered a forgotten treat in the cage. I've cleaned it out but true to ant nature the little buggers are still coming not matter what I do to get rid of them. Just a minute ago I noticed Sam was eating them. Is this okay, are ants bad for rats?

·
Registered
227 Posts
As far as I know eating ants would just be extra protein.

If you want a safe way to get rid of ants, put out a bowl with some sugar mixed with boric acid. They will carry it back to the colony and it should wipe them out.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I don't know about the benefits of eating ants. People do say that you should avoid allowing them to eat wild insects - as you have no idea where they've been, what they've crawled through (pesticides etc). To be safer than sorry, I'd take steps to get rid of them

We rarely have ant problems - so I don't know the best ways to get rid. But if you end up putting powder or anything down watch curious little rats going after it (not that I need to remind, just had to mention lol)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
a helpful hint... ants will not cross talcum powder, so if you're worried about ants getting in your cage again, sprinkle a solid circle of talc around the wheels/base of the cage. it wont hurt the rats, probably only make them sneeze a bit if they sniff at it, but it will keep the ants out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts