Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my first pack of rats ( 4 girls ) 5 months ago. I was really exited to teach them tricks and pet them.
At first I wanted to buy them from a breeder but since I couldn't find one, I got them from a pet store.

When they bit me the first few times I thought it was gonna take care of it self, that they just needed time to get used to me. But to this day whenever I leave my hand in the cage, I get bitten. It has gotten to a point where I am afraid to really do anything with them.
I've been petting one of them but only very briefly when I feed them, because as soon as she gets her food she disappears again. And whenever she gets interested in my hand I just sense that she is going to bite me and I have to pull away.
The other ones don't let me touch them at all.
I've tried taking my fear away by putting on glove. But I feel like it only confirmed it, because they were biting the glove too and not paying any attention to the squeeks I tried to make.
I think the two smaller ones are afraid of me. But with the two bigger ones it just seems like they don't get that it hurts me.

I will admit that I'm not very persistent with trying but I'm genuinely terrified of getting bitten.

In the end I only want what is best for my rats while staying within my possibilities. And I've been feeling like it's best just to leave it.
But at the same time I think that both of us are missing out on a major part of a rat/owner relationship.

If you have any idea of how I could approach this situation, it would mean a lot to me, if you would let me know.

Many thanks in advance and have a nice day!

·
Registered
Tesla, Ruby, Cloud, and Poe
91 Posts
I see this post is from 4 months ago but no one responded, just wondering if you were able to make any progress with the rats biting or if you could still use some advice?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Make a rat esque screechy noise when bitten, then ignore the rat.
Try handling. If you can successfully handle them without immediately getting bitten, give a treat. As soon as you're bitten, repeat the first thing I said. Sadly when they're bred as feeders, the breeder doesn't care for temperament. If you want good rats that don't bite, find a good breeder. For now, do your best with these ones, and under no circumstances continue to give them attention when bitten. If they nip hard, it's a self defense bite. If they only grab your finger with their teeth and seem to pull you, they probably just want your attention. If they learn it doesn't get them attention, they'll stop. Good luck!

·
Registered
Rex, Penny, Sugar, Latte
430 Posts
I would personally recommend using the spoon method. Give your rats a licking treat on a metal spoon so when they come close to you they will be rewarded with the treat and if they try to bite, all they would get is a mouth full of metal. Keep in mind that what you are trying to accomplish is having your rats associate you with good things, for example, when you pass their cage you can drop a treat in. If your rats are showing signs of fear you don't want to approach them since this will have them associate you with fear.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I know this is late but anyway this worked for my girls, make loud eeeep sound when they do it so they know that you don’t like it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts