Rat Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my first pack of rats ( 4 girls ) 5 months ago. I was really exited to teach them tricks and pet them.
At first I wanted to buy them from a breeder but since I couldn't find one, I got them from a pet store.

When they bit me the first few times I thought it was gonna take care of it self, that they just needed time to get used to me. But to this day whenever I leave my hand in the cage, I get bitten. It has gotten to a point where I am afraid to really do anything with them.
I've been petting one of them but only very briefly when I feed them, because as soon as she gets her food she disappears again. And whenever she gets interested in my hand I just sense that she is going to bite me and I have to pull away.
The other ones don't let me touch them at all.
I've tried taking my fear away by putting on glove. But I feel like it only confirmed it, because they were biting the glove too and not paying any attention to the squeeks I tried to make.
I think the two smaller ones are afraid of me. But with the two bigger ones it just seems like they don't get that it hurts me.

I will admit that I'm not very persistent with trying but I'm genuinely terrified of getting bitten.

In the end I only want what is best for my rats while staying within my possibilities. And I've been feeling like it's best just to leave it.
But at the same time I think that both of us are missing out on a major part of a rat/owner relationship.

If you have any idea of how I could approach this situation, it would mean a lot to me, if you would let me know.

Many thanks in advance and have a nice day!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts