Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
One of my girls had a lump removed yesterday morning (thankfully only a fatty lump), and by 9pm laat night she had licked and pulled the internal stitches out leaving a large open wound (At least an inch wide I would say).

Following a very expensive trip to an emergancy vet she now has staples, and a tubular bandage type thing reinforced with micropore tape ( not too tight obviously). She is on metacam for the pain, plus not baytril in case of infection.

KistJustdered if anyoananyone has any advice on this? Ways to speed up the healing process/deter the chewing further? She doesnt seem to be chewing it so far but had so much bad luck I'm just waiting for her to do so!

Any words of wisdom with anyone whos had a similar experience would be greatly recieved!

Thanks all x

·
Registered
395 Posts
My rat did the same thing and when she was restitched as soon as she awoke from anaesthesia she immediately started removing them again and my vet said, "Sh*t!". lol

I wrapped my girl the same way yours is to stop her from chewing and did bandage changes once per day and did a saline wash to prevent infection. A few months ago when I had three rats have lump removal I made them little e-collars. They didn't like them and I gave them breaks from them. Of course when they were taken off a few days later my rats started messing with their incisions, but not too much was damage was done this time around (such as a second intention wound which happened with my first rat) and a few stitches were pulled but they were okay due to the healing that was allowed to take place.

What you're doing sounds right to me! My rats get bupenorphine for pain management, not metacam because is stronger and what I would want if I had an incision that was almost as long as my abdomen. Ouch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your reply! Its been so stressful and frustrating!
I have post op appointment tomorow so may ask for a stronger painkiller. Had to change the bandage every 8 hours or so because it seems to frey and fold up at the edges after a while of moving.

How many days would you think she would need it to be covered for if she is persistently grooming it? I can imagine its not doing the healing process a great deal of good having it covered up 75% of the time :(

Thanks again! x

·
Registered
395 Posts
Wounds imo need moisture to heal so the cells can regenerate and not dry out and die. I don't believe in the 'air drying' method. However there will be folks who disagree and are entitled to.

With my rat I put a non adhesive bandage against her wound (after rinsing it with saline) so any exudate could be absorbed. Then I wrapped her in those stocking tube things. How I wrapped my rat was a bit nutty. I literally tied it around her as if she were a gift (well, she was a gift - one of love to me). This is the only way I could keep it on. Others may wrap their rats differently. We all have to find a way that works with our rat's personality.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts