Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exactly what the title says. I'm looking to buy some toys and hammocks for my rats and I need a good homemade store to get it from. I'd go on etsy but a lot of that is expensive. I'd like something kinda cheap. Does anybody know of a good website or online store?

·
Registered
672 Posts
You can buy fleece and make no sew dyi ones, that would be pretty cheap. Directions on utube or maybe even here.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Making your own is the best way. IF you want cheap stuff you can also go to the dollar tree for plastic and wicker baskets, cat toys, dog ropes, baby rings, construction paper ect Binder clips have so many uses here. To hold down a blanket, to hold some pieces of construction paper for them to tear off and use for nesting materials, I'll attach popsical sticks to the side of the cage for a removal challenge.

Turn your old clothes into hammocks-a jean hammock or a tshirt to snuggle in. Fleece is cheap and you don't have to sew it. I personally like grommets so I don't have to sew and have an easy time hanging them.

Cardboard boxes-like shoe boxes, tissue boxes, pop boxes-all good chewable cubbies.

If you have untreated safe treats in your yards, use the trimmed branches for climbing and chew items.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i make stuff for mine illpost pics later iy cost me like 6$ to make my hammic and a round bed for my boys and and i have enough material left that i made shelf liners and trying to figure out what to make next

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I work at a fabric store and get discounts, so I know that buying no sew fleece and even buying the fleece by the yard isn't that expensive (especially since our fleece is on sale). I already make my own hammocks with eyelets and everything, but I'd really like some advanced cube hammocks and the like, that I (tbh) don't feel like doing all the work to make.

I also have a horrible time trying to just "think of" what toys I could make for them and I end up not making them anything or making something mediocre, when it could be more fun for them. Not because I don't want to take the time to make something for them, but because I lack the knowledge and craftiness to do make something awesome.

Thus why I kind of want to buy a few toys and hammocks to start with and if I later come to find that I like that toy, I can try to make it myself. So again, if anybody knows of an online store that I can buy from that would be great. When I say cheap I don't mean "something I can make" cheap. I really just mean "Not as expensive as most things on etsy".

Thank you for your responses though everyone. I appreciate you all trying to help.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have not bought them but I have seen cubes on etsy for 10$. That is pretty cheap. The ones I have seen for that price are all one color. Or possibly two, not patterned fleece. But they appear to be well made.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Have you looked on eBay, I usually look there before any other place . Good prices & free shipping on most items . They have a lot of cute rodent toys & hammies :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
If you can't make them yourself (I'm artsy but the hammock I attempted ended up a total mess, lol), I would suggest The Little Red Ladybug! I have always ordered my hammocks from her website and she also sells great treats.
http://www.thelittleredladybug.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts