Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so... I need a cage. "Need" is a bit of an overstatement, I won't be able to own rats for another year or more, but I'm very determined to save money as early as possible to get a good cage right off the bat and other necessities. The thing is, I have some physical health issues which make stamina and strength hard pressed. In addition, I also have mental health problems. As such, I would need an easy to clean cage so that it wouldn't overwhelm me and I could care for my ratties properly.

I know that the bigger the cage is with the fewer the rats, the less it needs to be cleaned. There's not as many rats taking up every little crevice, so it doesn't get as dirty as fast. That's not an excuse not to clean, but something that I have kept very clear in my mind while looking around on my own. I want to own about 3-5 rats, if that gives a better reference for size needs.

I wouldn't mind having to clean it more often, and I'm working on my stamina issues to be able to deal with more at a time, but I know that cages that are easy to clean is a huge priority for me and probably always will be - not necessarily for convivence, but for the health of everyone involved.

Do you guys have any cage suggestions that would suit that size of a mischief that wouldn't be difficult to clean? Or even just suggestions for cleaning cages with ease. Any forum links would be appreciated too if there are similar threads!
(I've seen Emiology's video about rat care while dealing with chronic illness, but of course everyone's needs are different so any and all suggestions are appreciated so I can see what works for me or perhaps anyone who comes across this in the future.)

Thank you so much for your help and your time!

·
Registered
Freddy, Alfredo, Juniper, Figgy, Dobby
821 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Critter Nation cage is great. Both doors open completely so it is super easy to clean.
I've looked into the Critter Nation! I'm pretty heavily considering it, my only big hesitation being that I've heard it's hard to put together and that it's heavy, I think about 52 pounds? Which is just over my limit, but I guess it has wheels to get around that. It's definitely on my radar. Thank you!

·
Registered
Freddy, Alfredo, Juniper, Figgy, Dobby
821 Posts
It’s not terribly hard to build, but you need at least 2 people to help you. You could try on your own though. I have the double and it’s not extremely heavy, but that’s why it has wheels!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi, so... I need a cage. "Need" is a bit of an overstatement, I won't be able to own rats for another year or more, but I'm very determined to save money as early as possible to get a good cage right off the bat and other necessities. The thing is, I have some physical health issues which make stamina and strength hard pressed. In addition, I also have mental health problems. As such, I would need an easy to clean cage so that it wouldn't overwhelm me and I could care for my ratties properly.

I know that the bigger the cage is with the fewer the rats, the less it needs to be cleaned. There's not as many rats taking up every little crevice, so it doesn't get as dirty as fast. That's not an excuse not to clean, but something that I have kept very clear in my mind while looking around on my own. I want to own about 3-5 rats, if that gives a better reference for size needs.

I wouldn't mind having to clean it more often, and I'm working on my stamina issues to be able to deal with more at a time, but I know that cages that are easy to clean is a huge priority for me and probably always will be - not necessarily for convivence, but for the health of everyone involved.

Do you guys have any cage suggestions that would suit that size of a mischief that wouldn't be difficult to clean? Or even just suggestions for cleaning cages with ease. Any forum links would be appreciated too if there are similar threads!
(I've seen Emiology's video about rat care while dealing with chronic illness, but of course everyone's needs are different so any and all suggestions are appreciated so I can see what works for me or perhaps anyone who comes across this in the future.)

Thank you so much for your help and your time!
Critter Nation! For 5 rats I recommend getting the double, but if its 3-4 they could live in a single!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts