Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! We recently acquired a single female who had been separated from her sister after the man who bought her said he didn't want 2 rats and refused to take both girls. We have 2 girls of our own who we hope to introduce her to but we have a small concern...
She has spent the entire time we've had her so far (since the weekend) not doing anything. Obviously we cannot watch her all the time but her food bowls are not on the floor of the cage and don't appear to have been touched. We bought her from a Pets at Home, so she was in a tank, but she hasn't climbed or anything as I would expect a young inquisitive ratling to do. She has stayed on the bottom of the cage, generally hiding in her tube or house. She's not eaten much and if you put her on a shelf she freaks out and either clings to your hand or immediately climbs down.
She is a little skittish but is handable. She just sits in your hand or arm or pocket and stays pretty still. She will brux and boggle when you pet her.
I'm just a bit worried about her. I've not experienced this in rata before. Her cage is next to our other 2 girls who are full of beans and get up to all sorts of mischief. and we are hoping to eventually introduce them and make a three.
Any ideas or advice greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
She is likely just very nervous and needs some time to adjust.

I would place the food/water on whatever level she is staying on. Not being used to a cage it can be intimidating at first.

Sitting next to her cage and talking to her sweetly and offer her a spoon with something yummy on it- babyfood, yogurt, etc... and see if she will try it.

I would just keep working with her and give her time. She will come around :)

But also check for any health issues, weird noises, difficult breathing, or red around the eyes or nose.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't know too much about this so firstly sorry! We bought our two girls from Pets at Home two weeks ago....they spent a very quiet few hours at first but were already climbing the walls and getting up to mischief by the middle of the first week...perhaps your girl is a bit more nervous because she is on her own? Sometimes we all need a little back up!! I agree, try giving her some yummy treats and I'm sure she'll start coming out of her shell!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A little update:

Rose has ventured onto the first shelf by herself but she doesn't stay there long. She is climbing a little more so hopefully as she comes out of her shell some more she'll get there! Thanks for the advice!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts