Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my rats HATE bath time, i know you aren't supposed to give them baths on the daily but when i do give them a bath they hate the water, and get me all wet while they are trying to jump out of the bathtub, what should i do about that?
i've tried to put things they like into the water, or not letting them hear me filling the bathtub up, or let them explore the space but they only stat still in the shallowest part of the bathtub, either cleaning or just standing still.
i dont know what to do know, all the youtube videos i've watched where only for rats that didnt have experience with water. Any tips?

·
Registered
918 Posts
i know you aren't supposed to give them baths on the daily
You shouldn't really need to bathe your rats at all.

Out of all of the rats I've had over the years, I've only given one or two of them a bath once or twice. The only time it should be necessary is if they're so old and lacking in coordination that they're completely unable to groom themselves. Think of rats like cats. They don't need baths.

If your rats smell bad, it's most likely because they're sleeping in dirty bedding/nesting materials or their hammocks need to be washed. I'd focus more on their environment than their fur. If you want to try to wipe them down with a damp cloth, that's fine but again, it shouldn't be necessary on a regular basis.

Introducing them to "pea fishing" might be a good way to get them more comfortable around water.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rather than stress you and them out, if you feel it's necessary to clean them - take a warm, damp washcloth and jjust gently stroke them with it.
It should be a light touch - like a caress.
You don't want to leave them wet, which is why I stressed "damp".
thank you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts