Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been looking for a nice rat playpen for a while but always seem to run into the same problems. I need one that is going to be fairly large in circumference as well as tall, but with no bigger than 1/2 inch bar spacing. My girls squeeze right out of the 1 inch space with no problem. It has to have bars because my girl, Gypsy, can go through any sort of webbing in a matter of seconds. I was going to just get them a pack and play but she will chew out. Another reason I like the metal bar ones is that I can buy covers so they can't jump out. Do you have ones that may fit what I'm looking for??

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Rather than wire I'd recommend getting some sheets of corrugated plastic. You want probably 4ft tall at least, then get some bulldog clips and clip them together into a tall smooth sided playpan, she shouldn't be able to get purchase on this to either climb or chew, and without a lid you should be able to sit inside. Perspex would be nicer to look at but more expensive and heavier. Plywood would last longer but be more expensive and heavy too

·
Registered
70 Posts
Somebody else on this forum mentioned trying a tent for a playpen (as seen at the bottom of this link http://hubpages.com/animals/creating-a-free-range-area-for-pet-rats) however as mentioned in that post they would have to be supervised for this, and if your rats are chewers this might not work.

I'm actually going to give this a shot myself as I have an old tent that's done with its camping days lol. My guys love chewing but typically hard things like Popsicle sticks and Q-tips (I buy them made out of paper so no plastic) so I think as long as they're preoccupied it should be alright.

A search online yielded some things:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pet-Critter...-Mouse-Ferret-Rabbit-Guinea-Pig-/281727656643

http://www.petsmart.com/gsi/webstor...SearchParameter=&@QueryTerm=pens&OnlineFlag=1

·
Registered
908 Posts
I followed the instructions on another post on this forum and made a playpen out of the flexible white shower backing material you can get at home depot. I can't remember the name of it, but it is very thin sheets of flexible plastic, but sturdy enough to stand up when formed into a circle. I used 1 8' x 4' sheet, cut into 2, 2' wide sections and used industrial velcro to attach and sat upright to make a large circle. This works for supervised playtime, but you would probably need to use 2 full size sheets (4' tall x 8' long) so that adults couldn't jump out unsupervised.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I could never do a tent, my girls chew fabric obsessively. I second the corrugated plastic idea. You could tape all edges with packing tape except for one and use that one as your clipped "gate." You can get corrugated plastic online (Amazon, eBay, maybe etsy), at sign shops, at home depot or lowes (you might have to order online and have it shipped to store), and on a rare occasion Walmart. In the same line of thinking, cardboard and sturdy poster board might work too, but probably not for as long.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My rat play pen behind my desk at work. It is made of the flexible shower backing. I used scissors, tape, Velcro and binder clips to attach it to my desk. Ratties love it!I can't figure out how to get the pictures the right way. Sorry.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts