Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello just wondering if there are any tips for getting new rats used to being handled. My three are all really different.
When I brought them home I left them to settle in for a few days, then started the whole process of sitting by the cage etc, giving treats. They were all confident enough to come out onto my hand within a couple of days, and just recently I have started taking them out and handling them. They all come out of the cage with no problems but then they are all really different once out.
Lucifer is the calmest and tends to spend most of his time just sitting on my arm/ shoulder. Georgie is livelier and still a little bit skittish but confident. Marmalade is the shyest. He's actually the easiest to get out of the cage but once out he is really fast and doesn't like to come too close. So far I've been using the same bath tub method I used to tame my Syrian hamster- I basically sit in the bathtub and let them crawl all over me, offer them treats etc and let them come to me when they're ready. The other two have been getting more and more confident with this but Marmalade seems to get more and more frustrated the longer he is there. He tries to jump out of the bath, or climb up my arm to see if he can get away. When he can't do this, he gets frustrated and gets faster and faster and really hard to handle. He also nips at my legs. I don't think this is aggressive, more curious, but it hurts! I've been trying the high pitched squeak in response as someone recommended but it doesn't really have much effect. I know it will take time, as it took nearly 3 months of bath-tubbing with my hamster, but I guess I am just wondering if any one has any advice or tips to help the process along, especially for Marmalade who is proving the most difficult at the moment! If it makes any difference, I'll add that I have had them in the bath tub both one at a time, and all together, and it seems to make no difference to their responses.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Also the trust training guide as well would be worth a read. You can gradualing let rats warm up to you but some nee a more direct and forced approch. Making them interact with you. Some rats are just quieter and take more time but there are a lot of methods to use.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts