Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else cuddle their female/restless rats despite of them not really want to? Is there any time of the day where they actually want to cuddle? If they wish to run away from me I try to be determined with them so that they eventually might calm down when I hold them, if I let go off them, they will just get more restless.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I let my girl run around as she pleases. She's a lone rat, so she likes to spend a lot of time with me anyway, but I don't force it. I feel like if you force them to cuddle they won't enjoy the experience and might stress them out and put them off it more. But that's just my thoughts, I'm no expert!
Maybe try and cuddle when they are sleepy? Claudia will curl up on my lap or in my shirt and nap like that for a while. It's pretty cute.

·
Registered
479 Posts
We have a couple girls who were rescues and so they seem to have some trust issues, and do not do the picking up thing very well. I let them be for a long time and now I can scoop them up most of the time, and I do occasionally and give them a little pet and put them back down again. If you hold them against their will they can grow to resent you, or give up their will entirely, neither you want. Remember these are smart animals, more on par with human intelligence then most animals you deal with. You have to treat them as smart beings and listen to them in order to get your best relationship. It really depends on how they are "Restless". If they are just wanting to explore, let them and give them quick little cuddles and kisses (if you trust them, I only trust my face around my boys and Cricket, the rest of the girls I don't trust as much). If they are restless in an "avoid the person at all costs" sort of way, encourage them to play with and on you and work from that. If I'm doing a quick fly by I usually go when they are just waking up from a nap and give them a little pet and then lift them quickly, give the snuggle and let them walk off my hand again. Now, even our least people friendly girls will usually turn around come back to see what I wanted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.