Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I am bringing my aggressive male rat to the vet to be neutered. They have to give him an exam first to make sure he is ok to have the surgery which I am pretty confident he will be. I am very worried that they won't be able to give him an exam because he is so aggressive. Does anyone have any experience with this because it is making me freak out a little.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Most veterinarians and their staff are trained to work with aggressive animals. As long as they know his issues ahead of time, they should be able to work around them. There are ways to handle aggro rats without getting bitten, and they can always choose to handle him with gloves, using a towel, etc. Don't worry about it too much, just make sure they know he's a bite risk if they don't already. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was going to tell them when I got there I never had time to when I made the appointment. The vet that takes care of the exotics has been an exotic vet for 20 years and he founded the Association of Exotic Mammal Veterinarians.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I don't know your rat or your vet specifically but I have a girlie who was just cage aggressive and when I had to take her to the vet I was in absolute shock as she seemed completely subdued....which may have been the unfamiliar surroundings. ..so that may be enough that he's not arroyo anything that's "his" other than that vets are just generally good with animals of all sorts...my vet sees mainly dogs and cats with rarely any variation and is more likely to end up with a horse in the office than a rat, but she knew just fine how to handle aris and pet her...alot of vets are just extremely educated animal lovers so you should be fine

1 - 7 of 7 Posts