Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this little one that is quarantine, her eye has me so freaked out. Its a little *****, a little swollen, and there may be some cloudiness to it. I tried wiping it with saline solution it looked better afterwards, couple hourse later it looks worse now than it did before. I cant tell if the eye(s) smell from infection or if its the poor rat. Anyways , will she be ok until Monday (vet appt.)? I keep reading about these rats who seem to have had the same symptoms that ended up needing the eye removed...I couldnt seem to find any pictures for comparison. The lady at the store said she seemed to have a reaction to any color carefresh except for the white color. If it is from the carefresh, will it heal on its own being I dont use any, or can I assume her eye is past that point? And I also read somewhere that they can get pink eye!? Oy!

My camera is dying a slowdeath but hopefully this pic will come out enough for someone to help me...Sorry its big

seems like she only ever squints outta one eye and the other can open but is still yucky

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Yuck! Looks like she needs more then saline flushes for those eyes. Probably a topical antibiotic of some sort is what the vet will give you at first and if that doesn't clean up they might suggest surgery. But yeah definately needs a vet visit ASAP if you want to save the eye.

Good luck. Hairless are prone to eye problems such as these. I doubt it's a reaction to carefresh although she could of gotten a little stuck into the eye and had a reaction to the dye I suppose... but more then her eyes would react if that were the case. Poor thing good luck to you.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thats what I thought. Since I have yet to find an experienced rat vet in my area, I will probably have to go to my normal vet, so...
Being that my norm. vet hasnt had alot of rat care experience, is there anything he should not prescribe to this lil girl?

Thank You...

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
my nakeds reacted poorly to Carefresh litter

Fluffy's eyes would swell up really bad & get yucky. The Carefresh also made her & my other nakeds sneeze quite a bit.

You say you smell a stink? Hmmmm....

Continue with eye washing, remove the carferesh & go with just a fabric bedding for a few days so that way you can rule out if it is bedding or not.

Take a look at this...
http://ratguide.com/health/eyes/conjunctivitis.php

no picture but this might help out with diagnosis. I've seen conjunctivitis in other animals & this might be what your like girl has (it looks very similar)... at least it is a start.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/befferoo/Rats/eye2231207.jpg

Daphne's eye when her infection was at the worst. She got it removed.

We are still unsure whether it was caused by infection or glaucoma (I'm certain it was infection - the smell was very distinct) but she's currently being treated for both. For the infection; I got hold of some eyedrops for people (they have Chloramphenicol abs in) which worked really well. She's now on Fucithalmic eye ointment (well, thick eyedrops) which was prescribed by the vet (we needed it to keep her eye rehydrated more than with the eye drops - but both work well).

My guru about the subject is Lilspaz - maybe she's worth a PM? She's an excellent source of information when it comes to eye problems

Edit - unless unavoidable try not to use Maxitrol eye drops. We used that initially with Daphne's (now gone) eye and it made the problem so much worse. It shouldn't be used with pus/infection present. This is the mistake my vet made - the infection got worse and her eyeball burst. Be very careful with steroid-based eye drops with infection in the eye - the steroids can make the infection worse. - Daphne and I learned that the hard way :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts