Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be picking up some new babies this weekend (so excited!) and half of them will be velveteen. Has anyone here ever kept rats with that coat mutation before? If so, do you happen to have pics of them as adults? The babies have slightly longer wavy hair, so I'm wondering what will happen as they age.

Also, if you have had one it and it has been male, has the velveteen coat made the male rat's coat any softer as an adult?

I will post pics after I get them settled. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
My girl Charlotte is an eight week old velveteen. Here are two pictures that show off her coat:

IMG_0037.jpg
IMG_0053.jpg

Her coat is definitely very soft. I don't know if you have ever petted a mouse, but she is not quite as soft as my baby mice, but definitely much softer than a normal rat. I love her coat!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! She is beautiful! Is she a fawn?
I have only seen pics of the pups I will be getting and have never touched one in person, so I'm hoping mine will also be softer... Especially the males.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks. Yes she is a fawn berkshire.

I hope your pups are nice and soft and very sweet. :) I'm getting a new ratlet this weekend too.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The are awesome pups! I can't tell just how soft they will be as adults since they haven't all molted yet, but they are just crazy soft now. I wish they would hold still so I could get good pics... They are still shy and skittish with me, but we are working on it. Out of the 6 I brought home, 3 are velveteen (1m/2f) the others are standard coats. As soon as I can get pics, I wll upload them.

You weren't getting your rat in Georgia were you? Several people were picking up from the breeder I was purchasing from (she normally lives 2 states away and was coming to a show in my state, so meeting up with people).

·
Registered
123 Posts
So glad to hear you love your babies! Six is a ton - wow! Do you have names yet?

Nope, I'm in California. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts