Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still trying to track down a cage for my future ratties, one that is safe, fun and won't rust and one that is also durable...does anyone know whether this cage (clickable link below) would be a good or bad first cage?

Super Pet My First Home

Thanks for any input, I really appreciate it :)

·
Registered
549 Posts
I had it for my chins, it a lot of up and down space and not a lot of side to side/front to back space. IMO you would need to make/add more shelves in order to make the space more usable. Also the bar spacing is quite large so if you planned on having females or young males you ould need to cover it. The slide was really flimsy but might support a lighter animal. I ended up taking out the slide, tube (which I never got to stay together) and ramp. It does come with a stand with locking casters which is really nice for cleaning behind the cage (cleaning otherwise is irritating in this cage)

·
Registered
500 Posts
I actually have it, and I love it.

Scout (one of my females) is actually on the smaller side, and she has never been able to get out of it. However, when we added two of her female babies into the cage, we did have to cover it with hardware cloth, which cost about $20 to cover the whole thing. We plan on taking it off once the babies are full-grown.

It's easy to clean, and with some creativity we have managed to fit two SuperPet hammocks and one homemade "pouch" corner hammock into it.

The girls love to chase each other up and down the tubes and slides. It says it's big enough for 6 on the cage calculator, but we just do 5 and it seems plenty roomy enough for them. Six is a bit of a squeeze, just in my opinion.

I haven't had any complaints with it so far. But do be prepared to have to spend an extra $20 or so for hardware cloth, depending on whether you're getting young rats/females.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your input on this cage, I really appreciate it a lot

·
Registered
261 Posts
This is a simular version of a Ferret Nation Cage. These are highly rated cages so I highly recemend it. Keep us updated when you get your two new ratties! :D
very exiting :)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I have this cage & yes, you will need to add additional shelves to it in order to make it work. Also because of bar spacing, young rats or small adult females will be able to slip out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts