Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here are a few warnings before you go and read the post-

If animal mistreatment, abuse and death upset you I would advise not reading this

I have used tiktok for a few months now, I love rats so of course my for you page slowly started to get filled up with rat videos, then it just took a nose dive into literal animal abuse.

Tiktok allows posts like rats drowning in traps, rats in destress and rats getting killed/caught in rat traps. These are clearly pet rats, you can tell due to how the rats act and that these rats are in a literal recording studio-esc. set up.

another issue that i've seen is owners abusing rats, I just saw someone get chewed out for warning a fellow rat owner about the cage they kept their rats in. I mean that's nothing too bad but then i saw this person make a response video ADMITTING feeding their two pet rats CAT FOOD and SCRAPS. The cage is abysmal as well, 0 toys in sight and it looks like they put these rats in a tall bird cage vs a proper rat cage.

this is only one of many rat abuse/mistreatment videos i've seen of owners not taking care of their rats. They get very upset when you tell them what they are doing is harmful... as a rat owner myself, if someone told me I had a dangerous item in their cage i would take it very seriously and look into it. I would even thank them for spotting that for me!

I will NOT link any of the rat trap videos, however I will link the video of this rat owner admitting to feeding her rats cat food, Please do not harass them. I feel like i needed to share this bc no one is listening, not even tiktok when I report these videos... not even the owners who claim to love their rats but can not even do the bare minimum of rat care.

If you are wondering, yes i report these videos when I see them.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
If tiktok isn't deleting the videos you report, there's really not much you can do. I'd say don't watch these videos, don't comment on them. Stay far away from them.

As for commenting on pet owners tiktoks with husbandry suggestions, if your comments aren't well received, move on. Again, there's really not much you can do. You can't control other people.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If tiktok isn't deleting the videos you report, there's really not much you can do. I'd say don't watch these videos, don't comment on them. Stay far away from them.

As for commenting on pet owners tiktoks with husbandry suggestions, if your comments aren't well received, move on. Again, there's really not much you can do. You can't control other people.
I try very hard not to see these videos, most rat related videos on tiktok are just animal mistreatment. The videos are a few seconds long so before you realize it you've watched most of the video :/ I would say it's a 50/50 chance that most of the rat content on tiktok is abusive.

I personally dont comment on any videos, I however do read comments and you will see maybe 1 person trying to help the rats and everyone else completely oblivious to the abuse. Most of the time no one is mean to the rat owners, we all fall victim to items that are marketed for rats that aren't safe for them, the small animal market in general sells items that are horrible for them.

on the other hand, if you post any kind of hamster or fish video people are on top of the owner's lack of proper care. I just dont see anyone doing the same for the rats that appear on the app and that's what upsets me the most I guess

·
Registered
Rat army: Rheuben, Benji and Moon
15 Posts
That’s very disappointing. This is just my assumption, but it might be because people assume rats are more resilient? Just because they have survived on the streets and such for so long. But that does not excuse the mistreatment of animals, and just because the wild counterpart is very resilient does not mean the same rules apply to the domesticated version

1 - 4 of 4 Posts