Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,<br>I have a female rat that hoards like crazy... so crazy in fact, that her bowl will be empty minutes after it has been filled... She even hoards fresh foods that then start to go bad.  I am sifting through her bedding every day digging out food and inevitably miss some of it, which then makes the bedding go sour far quicker than it should (and makes for unsanitary conditions)... she doesn't only hoard it all over, but she pees on it as well. :/  I use shredded aspen for bedding, so it is easy for her to hide food.<br><br>If any of your guys have used food hoppers or made your own, I would love pics of them.  I have some hardware cloth lying around that I could use (1/2"). I'd appreciate your advice on this as I really do think it is unhealthy to hoard to the extent she does.. It also makes very difficult to tell how much they are actually eating. 

·
Registered
870 Posts
I found a suet feeder for birds that has 1/2" X 1" wire on all six sides that works great as a hopper for Harlan Teklad or Native earth lab blocks. It probably wouldn't work with Oxbow Adult blocks, though as they are smaller. It was hard to find this feeder as most suet feeders have wider spaces on the sides and won't work this way. With hardware cloth, you could just make a box with a lid and hang it on the side of the cage like I do with the suet feeder. You could look at suet feeders to see what I mean.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually tried a suet feeder once, but didn't realize it had 1x1 grid on the sides (1/2 x 1 on the front / back)... I guess I could mesh the sides with the bigger holes.... I use HT as well. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
870 Posts
I found this thing about 7 years ago. I bought 6 or more from Amazon before I found one that worked. I wish I saved the brand information so I could share it, but it got lost.

·
Registered
455 Posts
How big is your bar spacing? You could just zip tie a tupperware onto the outside, with a hole cut in the top wall to drop food into.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Smilebud- That is a great idea! I think I'll try that. My bar spacing is 1/2" (DCN). I'll have to see if the pieces will fit through the bars too easily... If not, then that just might work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts