Rat Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has used baby food as supplemental nutrition for their animals. I found some particularly inexpensive fruit and vegetable blends at the store and bought a few, but now i'm questioning the apple one. I know that they can't have apple seeds, and i'm wondering if the seeds are ground up with the apple in the mixture. (maybe these amounts are so trace as to not be harmful?)

·
Registered
308 Posts
I know baby food is safe for babies and hamsters so I'd assume it would be perfectly safe for rats. Fruit ones would be very sugary though so it'd probably just be a once in a while treat.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Apple seeds contain a compound that metabolizes into cyanide, but it's a ridiculously small amount that requires an awful lot of seeds to be consumed to reach anywhere near harmful levels. Regardless, baby foods with apples as an ingredient do not contain ground seeds.

As stated above, watch out for baby foods comprised of mostly fruits as the sugar can really add up. Stick to a majority of the ingredients being vegetables.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have fed my ratties the pea mush baby food and they love it! They get very messy though (trying to grab it with their paws, then stepping all over each other) so anticipate lots of cleaning after! :p

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I think feeding them baby food now and then will be an easy way to spice up their food offering without having to prepare anything. I'll try to stay away from fruit ones except on special occasions.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I have some small ice cube trays that I use to freeze squashes or yams either that I cooked or baby foods and just give them an ice cube of the treat. They last longer, I don't have to toss any, and it's already prepared. It doesn't take long to thaw or they can lick it while it is still frozen. I find it to be an easy way to enlarge the variety of things I give them.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have some small ice cube trays that I use to freeze squashes or yams either that I cooked or baby foods and just give them an ice cube of the treat. They last longer, I don't have to toss any, and it's already prepared. It doesn't take long to thaw or they can lick it while it is still frozen. I find it to be an easy way to enlarge the variety of things I give them.
That sounds like a fantastic idea, but I want to learn more. Do you stick the ice cube in a dish? Bowl?

I am considering doing the same, but then I think about how my girls would handle it. Someone would very likely snatch the ice block and squirrel it away somewhere. That would get messy if the rat leaves it alone to melt.

But then again, I don't know my rats to leave anything tasty for long. The only thing that sticks around are the lab blocks, and who can blame them for that! I suppose my concern is already addressed.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I use snack/sandwich trays or coasters, depending on how many rats I am serving. I got them at Ross or Big Lots when they clearance summer stuff. Kind of like these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009Z07U1S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 or http://www.ebay.com/itm/201290962909?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT They're about 1/2 inch deep. The ice cube trays I use are these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DREDTQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 These types of foods seem to stick to hard plastic ice cube trays and I broke my first ice cube tray getting them out. If they run with the ice cubes, just wait til they melt. They are baby food, if they are thawed, they can't run with them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
baby food

I feed my girls baby food all the time. I buy vegetables, fruits, and meats. The meat I mix with GREEN MUSH to give them their extra vitamins. I also give them wagon wheels, puffs, an organic food called nibbly fingers. It is like a fruit trail mix bar. I figure no extra preservatives and safe for babies, safe for them. They also get fresh veggies and fruit to eat. I also order a special dry mix of seed and cereal. I try to limit meats due to the protein and mammary tumors. They love the baby food. Especially peas!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Medicine or vitamins mixed in a smidge of bananna baby food is a big hit at my house. I had a day that when he was old and sick had to be spoon and sometimes sringe fed as he wouldn't eat on his own, but he wasn't in pain. Along with oatmeal made with milk free infant formula & olive oil, lab block 'smoothies' and anything he actually wanted, baby food was a life saver for him (and me). If nothing else, its great to know what baby food they like in case of emergencies

·
Registered
208 Posts
Medicine or vitamins mixed in a smidge of bananna baby food is a big hit at my house. I had a day that when he was old and sick had to be spoon and sometimes sringe fed as he wouldn't eat on his own, but he wasn't in pain. Along with oatmeal made with milk free infant formula & olive oil, lab block 'smoothies' and anything he actually wanted, baby food was a life saver for him (and me). If nothing else, its great to know what baby food they like in case of emergencies

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.