Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This goes along with my last thread. Chai's diagnosis is hernia. It is a large hernia around her genials. It nearly killed her Sunday but I guess it shifted and was able to sink back in a little.

The vet said surgery was the only option but at her age we opted to let her live her life. This is a day by day thing. The vet said she is going to have good days and bad. Once the bad days outnumber the good, its time to put her to sleep.

For now, we are supposed to "massage" it. Both my boyfriend and I are a bit scared of hurting her. Does anyone have some words of wisdom?

On another note, she doesn't seem to want to be around the other rats. Is it okay to keep her separated? Every time I try to put her in the main cage, she cries and tries to hide. She seems to only want to rest and cuddle with us.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I can't tell you what to do since it's a life being dealt with, but if she were mine I'd try for the surgery. If she dies on the table it will be as painless as being put to sleep. My Cookie had two tumors removes at nearly two, and the vet didn't know if she'd make it or not. Any bigger and euthanasia would be the only option, so I decided to try since she'd die painlessly either way. The surgery was sucessful and she's alive and healthy months later.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never had rats before. Realistically surgery at two years old could give her how much time? I thought two years old was pretty much the limit for rats.

·
Registered
664 Posts
True, but some rats can make three, in extremely rare cases even four or five. She may enjoy another year. If you're thinking of the cost of surgery, you mentioned putting her to sleep and it wouldn't be too much different cost wise. I had to have a cat pts once and it was expensive. How is her health otherwise, or how was it before this happened I should ask? If she was relatively healthy before, I would say I'd try it if she were mine. Also if cost is a factor, many vets will work out payment plans. I had to make the same decision with three of my rats who needed surgery, and I was never sorry that I went through with it for a moment. Sorry if I sound like I'm trying to tell you what to do, just trying to give a perspective. None of my rats ever had a hernia, but my Harper had a prolapse, which I think is similar.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True, but some rats can make three, in extremely rare cases even four or five. She may enjoy another year. If you're thinking of the cost of surgery, you mentioned putting her to sleep and it wouldn't be too much different cost wise. I had to have a cat pts once and it was expensive. How is her health otherwise, or how was it before this happened I should ask? If she was relatively healthy before, I would say I'd try it if she were mine. Also if cost is a factor, many vets will work out payment plans. I had to make the same decision with three of my rats who needed surgery, and I was never sorry that I went through with it for a moment. Sorry if I sound like I'm trying to tell you what to do, just trying to give a perspective. None of my rats ever had a hernia, but my Harper had a prolapse, which I think is similar.
They are quoting me $500 - $600 for the surgery and $22 to put her to sleep. How much are surgeries usually? Are they charging me too much?

Her health has been generally okay. She was fighting mites for a long time but those seem to be under control. No breathing issues, slightly underweight, no tumors that the vet can find.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
If she is whimpering and seeming in pain then you need to really think about the quality of life. At minimum she needs to be on an anti inflammatory and pain killer like metacam. This will help reduce swelling on the hernia and keep it from getting nasty. If she's still in pain like this then i think you have to either have her put to sleep or try surgery as otherwise she could live a long time suffering. As to dealing with hernias, i've come across minor ones before, masaging does help them go down and stay down, but only if it feels soft an pliable, massaging something firm and swollen says that its badly trapped and needs surgery or similar to help it go down.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She is quite lively at the moment. She is eating, drinking, playing, and cuddling... but doesn't want to be with the other rats. I'm going to make some phone calls and get quotes for the surgery. I am under the impression my vet wants way too much for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.