Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do half hairless rats need any special care? Are they generally as healthy as furred rats? There is one needing a home here and Chai is desperate for a new friend after Mocha passed.

PS. I don't really know what a "half hairless" rat is. I thought they either had hair or not.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Maybe they're talking about a double rex rat? Double rex rats can sometimes have a little fur or no fur. They could also be stating that one of the parents may have been hairless and the rats are furred. I would go ahead and message her if you're interested. =P I have two hairless rats, and they don't require much more care than my regular furred ratties. The only one who really requires a lot of care right now is my hairless ratty Evy. She has hinf leg degeneration so I'm always making sure she's clean and the buck grease don't collect on her since she can't clean her back any longer.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have to rub lotion on them? Do they get scratched up from grooming? Chai is a pretty hardcore groomer...

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I've never had to rub lotion on my nakies. One of the twins, V, used to get scratches when he was younger, but they healed really quickly. He just liked to play rough with the others. He didn't get scratches from grooming. The worst scratch he ever got was from the vet. When I had him neutered he apparently freaked out, dashed off the examination table, and scraped his back on the sharp edge of the table. He healed really fast, and the cut wasn't too bad. That was just way back when though. I got V and his sister Evy while I was at work. They were dropped off in a cardboard box and were unsocialized so they freaked out when it came to people and hands for the first few months I had them. V still has an irrational fear of hands. He loves to snuggle, but he doesn't like being touched by bare hands.

I wouldn't worry about if they are hairless or not. When I pick ratties, it's mainly based on personality. I have a soft spot for hairless rats though. My first rat was a hairless dumbo girl named Molly. They're really warm and love cuddles just as much as their furred cousins do.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I have a double rex. Even at 18 months, her energy level far exceeds that of a typical furred rat. And as a baby her energy was absolutely off the charts. These rats expend more energy, and have to work harder to stay warm, so you can expect them to consume considerably more food and water than a furred rat.

From what I have observed, I suspect that true hairless rats are more vulnerable to illnesses and have shorter lives, but double-rex rats tend to have normal immune systems and normal lifespans.

Occasionally I will put some emu oil or apricot oil on my double rex if she looks flaky, but we live in a humid climate and her skin usually looks pretty healthy. As a baby she was ridiculously rambunctious, but now she's really a sweetie, very affectionate and LOVES to be held and petted.

Also, she loves to take a bath in a shallow dish of water. This might be a quirk of Smoothie and not double-rex rats in general :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts