Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apartment complex is having a whole termite and bug fumigation on the 17th. Therefore, I have to get all opened food, pets, and myself out for a few days. My problem is that I have two large rat cages that cannot be moved if I want this to go smoothly. By "cannot" I mean it's going to be a huge pain to even attempt getting those cages out of here and in a car nonetheless. I've asked the office lady if I can leave those cages here and she told me that they can be left in the apartment, but have to be completely cleaned out before fumigation. That's all fine and dandy; I have two smaller cage for my girls and boys to get into and move with me.

Although, since I'm leaving the big cages in the apartment I wonder how the fumigation is going to affect the cages as a whole. If I come back after it's all over and done with, is it safe to put the rats back in their big cages? Will I need to bother washing/ wiping down the big cages? I'm afraid if I even bring them back in the apartment the excess fumes or whatever will hurt the rats.

If anyone has had experience with this sort for thing, I'd love to see how you have handled it.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
You will need to give the cages a serious scrub down afterwards before putting the rats back in. I'd probably cover them with a sheet or plastic before but still scrub them like crazy afterwards.

I worry a bit as well so I would probably not bring them backinto the apartment until like a day later if it is possible? Make sure all windows are open and really air out the place before coming back in.

I'd probably also take with u any bedding, food or put it in the fridge. Take out all their toys, hammocks, etc.. wash everything before giving it back to them.

Not rat related but id also wash all your dishes and bedding afterwards as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts