Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a group of males and found out that 1 of my "boys" is in fact a girl. She is currently with her brothers who are about 3-4 weeks old. The breeder i got them from says he doesn't have anymore girls available right now but will in 2 weeks. He said she will be fine with the boys for two weeks but I'm a little worried. Will she be okay? Should i separate them now and find some girls from someone else?

·
Registered
452 Posts
I would separate them as soon as possible, but ask the breeder when their birth date was? You're meant to separate litters at 4.5 or 5 weeks exactly. If the breeder cant tell you their exact age (down to day, instead of week) then separate them now, otherwise she has a high chance of getting pregnant. If the breeder cant sex rats properly, and sold you the rats at 3-4 weeks old (too young, also you mentioned the rats were not in a good situation in the other post) then I'd say the breeder is not trustworthy at all. I think you should look into other sources for another girl or two :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was thinking so I have started looking for a new cage online and I am planning to go to the store tomorrow to get a cage I just don't want her to be alone in there though. I know she is 3 weeks along with one of the other boys from her litter the other 2 boys are 4 weeks. She is also very small compared to her brothers so I am worried about finding a cage she cant squeeze out of. I am looking everywhere for a small girl around 6 weeks for her to be caged with but so far have had no luck

·
Registered
452 Posts
If you're unable to find a cage with suitable bar spacing, you could probably get away with separating her and the other 3 week old boy in a large storage bin modified to have wire mesh sides and top, until they reach 4.5 weeks of age. That will give you some extra time to look for a new girl and you could keep her in the bin until she gets a little bigger. I think as long as you clean it well and hang some toys and hammocks in there she'll be fine in the bin for just a few weeks :)

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
If she's 3 weeks then you possibly have a week before you need to separate but I would try and avoid that breeder as for one they home out too young, and then mis sexing points to the fact they are pretty rubbish.

1cm bar spacing is fine for little babies, I have mine from birth in a low level cage with that spacing and no escapes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts