Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize for all the food posts recently, this is my last one, I promise~

I seen a breeder supplement her rats water with ACV every few months to help build up their immune systems, especially in the winter and colder seasons.

I'll of course have 2 different types of water available, one with ACV and just normal water.

So... what are your thoughts on apple cider vinegar?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I'm not sure it actualy dies anything but u don't it hurts them. i would give it in a wet meal though as is quite spur tadting so most won't drink it

·
Registered
953 Posts
I use balsamic vinegar on my homemade salads, which I share with the rats, as well as the conure. Both like it. Once every couple weeks or so I use acv in the chickens water. Chickens can get bacteria in their crops which causes a lot of ailments and the acv tends to help keep that from happening.

I'm not sure if regular cheap vinegar works as well. If you get natural ones where you can see they are cloudy and have a blob in them (the mother), that is what is full of probiotics. Vinegar helps with wounds due to having antibacterial elements, chicken crops because the vinegar actually sits in the crop before digestion all has shown to help with bacteria issues. A lot of use it for cleaning and because of the antibacterial elements.

Internally vinegar slows the digestion of starch so would be beneficial to diabetics and such. It does have minerals in it so does have some nutrient value. Not so sure if it would up an immune system taken internally. I think it's a nice addition to the diet used sparingly however. Heavy use can cause acidic problems and change the ph in the stomach causing heartburn and such, so bad if someone has an upset tummy or is prone to ulcers I would imagine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was wondering about the health benefits of different vinegars for the rats the other day... the thing I was most worried about was the effects of acid erosion on their teeth... I know that vinegar can eat the enamel of human teeth (which is okay because we go to the dentist)... I was wondering if regular access to vinegar (or any high acidity food) would be damaging to rat teeth (I know nothing about rat dentition...). Any one have any thoughts

·
Registered
953 Posts
I would think it would cause less issues on their teeth than ours since they are constantly growing teeth a new. However, I don't think I would do daily vinegar. Not only worry about their teeth, but I'm not so certain that is good on their tummys. Like most things in life, a little can be beneficial, too much can undo that and cause new issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts