Rat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got the Revolution I ordered in the mail today. However the application is a bit confusing. According to RatGuide there are specific dosages for rats over/under 1lb.

http://ratguide.com/meds/anti-infectives/selamectin_revolution.php

However it then goes on to say you can just apply a single, unmeasured, drop. Not sure what to do. I don't really have any syringes small enough to measure 0.02ml, so I'd prefer to just put a drop on each but I want to make sure it's safe.

I got the kitten/puppy stuff. All my rats are 9-11 months old. Three of them weigh roughly 1lb (450-470g) but the other (Tempy) weighs over 600g. Anyone have any advice on dosing? Should I just try one drop on each and see how it goes? Do I need to apply more to Tempy?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
I use three drops (from the tube).

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well crap, I did it last night and only put 1 drop each on the little ones and 2 on Tempy. Is that not going to be enough? Is it ok to add more now, or do I need to wait now?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
If they're not big hefty boys, 1 drop should be fine. Revolution seems to be very safe for ratties, so 2 drops would just be to be safe and make sure it's strong enough. I don't think it's necessary to do 3 drops.. That might be a little strong. Even large boys should just need 2 drops. Drops are actually a measured unit if the application tip isn't too large, but it might not be the same for a flea med tube vs a drop measured in a lab haha. You should see them stop scratching and they should be feeling much better in the next day or so. If it doesn't seem to have worked, or if you want to just be safe and make sure all the bad bugs are gone for good, you can reapply 2 drops each in 2 weeks. You can store the unused portion left in the tube in the freezer until you need it again in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Using exact dosages...

the concentration of the Revo is 60 mg/ml and the recommended dosage is 6 mg/kg

I used 460 grams for the other boys and came up with .05 cc

For the boy over 600 grams, we'll use 620 and get .06 cc.

I part the fur near the a rats ear on the top of the head, and put the dose onto bare skin as much as possible, then it absorvs through the skin into the bloodstream faster.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So how many ccs are in a drop?

They seem to be itching less after almost a week, but haven't stopped completely so I'm assuming 1 drop wasn't quite strong enough. I'm going to wait until next week and then give them each 2 drops, and 3 to Tempy.

·
Registered
153 Posts
.05cc will be 1 drop measured with a 1cc syringe. Or .05ml in a 1ml syringe, it's the same thing. There should be 20 drops in 1cc/ml.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
You really don't have to stress yourself out so much with exact measurements. When all my furry babies (including 2 rabbits) got mites/lice from some hay I brought home for the buns, the rats I just did 1 drop for the girls and 2 drops for the larger girls and all boys and it cleared things up for them by day 2. No more scratching. If you want to feel safe do 2 drops on everybody, but you really don't need more than that. I really wouldn't worry about it unless you accidentally cut the large part in half and have no other way to measure it. If you just cut the tip off the applicator, that will work just fine! If you really want to make sure you kill off everthing, give everyone 2 drops again in 2 weeks after your first dose.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
(Just as an aside tip: Any pharmacist worth their salt will be happy to hand you a 1ml syringe (to dose .00cc) over the counter.)

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Wait til baby is 5 weeks then just the smallest amount for a wee one. Do you have a medicating syringe? You can buy them singly from calvet supply

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
1 drop from the applicator the medicine comes in would be fine. Revolution is pretty safe to use, so if you do a little extra you don't have to worry really about overdosing or risk of death. Just cut the tip off the applicator and give one drop directly on the skin where they can't reach. 1 drop should be plenty for a little 5 week baby, but don't do any more (just unecessary, but likely won't hurt them). If you're worried, you can do one drop, and then touch it with your finger to get a little extra off. Be sure to wash your hands after touching the medicine. Do you know for sure the little baby has mites? Or do your other rats all have them so you're dosing the baby to be safe?

·
Registered
272 Posts
This medicine tube is designed extremely crappy. I think I over pierced the tube because it started pouring like water, no drops. The cap also cracked, seriously the thing is so unbelievably brittle. I tried to measure the medicine with a syringe, bad idea. The liquid dries so quickly that I easily lost the whole tube of medicine because of it. Next time I’ll try to be more gentle if that’s even possible and I'm not even bothering with the syringe. Their back of the neck was a little wet from the medicine so I’m praying that it was enough to cure the infestation. If not, I'm going to wait till next month for the second attempt...

·
Registered
286 Posts
This medicine tube is designed extremely crappy. I think I over pierced the tube because it started pouring like water, no drops. The cap also cracked, seriously the thing is so unbelievably brittle. I tried to measure the medicine with a syringe, bad idea. The liquid dries so quickly that I easily lost the whole tube of medicine because of it. Next time I’ll try to be more gentle if that’s even possible and I'm not even bothering with the syringe. Their back of the neck was a little wet from the medicine so I’m praying that it was enough to cure the infestation. If not, I'm going to wait till next month for the second attempt...
Please tell me if it works :) hope fully it does.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I think it's working. Usually when I handled my rats they would give me itchy bumps, not anymore. I guess they were caused by the mites, not my rats. My rats also stopped chewing on themselves excessively and I'm not noticing any new missing patches of fur or scabs. Their previous scabs also seem to be healing so I'm very relieved right now. Lets hope this is the end of it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts