Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on getting 2 hairless rats in a few months. (These would be my first rats.) I've read about hairless rats and know that they don't like temp's under 70. So I was thinking maybe a 20 gallon 'long' tank with a topper would be good for them. The tank part would keep out drafts and the topper would allow for ventilation, right? I just want to make sure the rats are comfy. :)
Here's a topper that's sold at Martin's cages: http://www.martinscages.com/images/full/RT-630.jpg

If this isn't a good idea, then can you recommend a cage that you like?

Thankies! :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm basing most of my information on research, but I can tell you from past experience that I wouldn't recommend keeping them in a tank; I suspect that's what lead to my gerbil's respiratory issues. They'd definitely be better off with the tank topper since they would be spending plenty of time out of the stuffy environment, but I'd still look for a fully wire cage to keep them in =) Better safe then sorry, after all.

If you're worried about price, you might want to check out the Rat Lodge (also at Martin's Cages) which is only a dollar more then your tank topper and can fit three rats at 2.5 ft each =) Your babies will have plenty of room, but still be nice and cozy and warm if you fill it up with hammocks and bedding and 'clubhouses' (empty Kleenex boxes?) for them to snuggle in.

If you're worried about drafts, you could always attach or hang a layer or two of fleece on whichever walls would be hit by the breezes. It might get a little chewed, but you have the added bonus of being able to turn it into bedding or floor lining once it gets holy.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have a hairless (technically double rex, but she doesn't have hair), and she does absolutely fine in a completely wire cage. She has fleece as bedding and other rats to snuggle up to. Tube hammocks or pocket hammocks are a must in my opinion though, as that greatly helps reduce drafts while she's sleeping. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts