Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I currently have the All Living Things rat starter kit and am hoping to upgrade. It's actually pretty big for my two petite girls, so size isn't really too much of an issue here. The problem that I'm having is that it's very very very difficult for me to clean. There is a deep plastic pan at the bottom that the cage clamps to in order to stand up. It's probably a good four inches deep and reaching in to get anything is like reaching into abyss. When I clean this thing it's a HUGE to-do. The shelves are awful when it comes to getting them in and out of the cage, and the notches that are supposed to anchor it to the cage get weaker every time and are so finicky about where they will lock on. Is a CN and FN any better? I see that they have doors that open up from the front and very straightforward eye-level shelves. I'm just sort of at my wits end and need something that looks okay and is easy to deal with.

Here's a picture of my cage. The interior has changed a lot (this pic was taken around March) but this is the size I'm working with. It's definitely a lot sparser now since I've seen the things they use/don't use and cleaned accordingly.

Textile Art Cage Art Visual arts

·
Registered
870 Posts
The entire front of the CN and FN opens up. This makes removing shelves and pans super easy. I find it takes about an hour to remove toys, and fleece, wash pans and shelves, clean toys and replace everything. I loved this compared to my first cages.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I think your cage is similar in size and layout as petco rat manor. It was a pain in the butt to clean. I love my critter nation. I take out the pans, wash them, sponge clean the bars, and DONE :3

·
Registered
54 Posts
CN's are much easier to clean than most other cages. The only down side to CN's is that the pans are very large, so they can be a bit hard to pull out of the cage (esp. if your uncoordinated like me)

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I found the CN fairly easy to clean. I didn't have any problems removing the pans. Both doors open nice and wide so you can get all in there. For a really deep clean it can be a pain if you can't wheel it outside and hose it down IMO. Gunk can get stuck in some of the small spaces between the bars and hard to just wipe down clean.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I HATE the All Living Things Rat Starter Kit. Honestly was a waste of money considering how much of a pain it was to clean and decorate and take the rats in and out of. I'm impressed you managed to get so much stuff to fit in yours. I never had the patience to wrestle my arms through those tiny doors to hang much stuff inside.

Critter Nations are easier to clean in the way that the doors open up fully and you can reach in with ease. However, they're so HUGE that you can't just carry your cage into your shower and rinse it off. The thing I like the most about the Critter Nation other than the doors is that they don't have that dumb raised lip along the bottom of the cage tray that the All Living Thing's does so you can actually put things like corner litter boxed on the bottom of the cage.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Please keep an eye on thread dates and avoid posting in threads that have been inactive for more than a few weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.