Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like fleece gets really dirty and stinky.
I also feel like its harder to maintain as you have to keep washing it.
Could I replace fleece flooring with the spongy type shelf liners?
Like these?
http://m.dollartree.com/mt/www.doll...t-/500c541c541p312544/index.pro?method=search

I was thinking these would be great to just be able to wipe down or wash in the sink.
They would also be comfortable on my rats feet. And they have holes so they won't really hold smell.

Good idea or bad idea?

Please and thank you! :)

·
Registered
908 Posts
I've used these below litter boxes to help them not slide.. My main concern with using them as you would fleece would be the rats chewing on them and what ingesting the plastic (or whatever they're made from) would do to them. Mine did not seem to chew on the one piece I've used, but they did manage to drag it out from under the box. Attaching these so that they can't be drug around might be an issue too, as would be finding ones large enough to line the bottom of a cage (unless your cage is smaller). I'd say try it and see, but just be vigilant for signs of chewing. I've used these to line gecko cages before and they do wash very well and don't smell afterwards.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!
I think I'll try it out. See how they respond to it.
If I see them trying to shred I will have to find something else to line the cafe with.
I might just get the plastic tiles from Home Depot if they shred the shelf liners. I just thought the liners might feel better on their feet because it's soft and squishy.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've been using IKEA BORRIS mats (a lot of Swedish people do!), and don't have a bad thing to say about them! - scratch that - they do smell a bit rubbery when you first get them. a quick wash fixes that.
I don't know their price outside of Sweden, but here they cost about $0.50 each, so I just re-use them as much as I can and buy new ones when they get too disgusting. The boys have shown no interest in chewing them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have yet to try it out myself because I recently moved into a new house and the carpets were just redone so there were a lot of scraps left over and I just used those and cut them to the size of then cage floors.
My rats don't even attempt to pull them up.
I think I might just stick with carpeted floor for now. Especially since ints winter and the carpet really helps to keep the cage warm.
It doesn't smell at all ( I think it's high traffic carpet) . And when they get to dirty I can probably just get some more scrap carpet for cheap BC in have relatives that work in Home Depot.
If I do you end up using the floor liners I'll be sure to update you guys!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update!

I do use the draw liners now. I found that the best way for me to use them is only on half of the cage. So I have half the cage with a card board floor, and the other half is liners. This is the only way works for me because other wise my rats will just pull up the liners and sleep underneath them. The don't tear/shred them and they are really easy to clean. I use newspaper underneath them just to make cleaning them better. I do a daily clean/straighten up of the cage and every week I wash the liner in the sink and while those dry I just put the other set I have, in the cage and I switch off like this weekly. I only have two sets, but if I need more they are only a dollar. This is also when I change out the newspaper under the liners, I usually only have to change the newspapers weekly unless they decide they needed a nest and ripped up all the newspaper from underneath to build one, but this rarely happens.

This is working for me right now, so i'll stick with it until t no longer does i guess. I actually only tuck the liners in on the bottom level, because the top level the grate is screwed in (Feisty Ferret cage) so I just place them down, and for the most part they don't bother them. Sometimes I wake up to find them underneath the liners asleep, bu that not that big of deal for me.

here are some pictures!
Cage Animal shelter Room Pet supply

Cage Net Room

1 - 7 of 7 Posts