Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the spirit of recycling much of our trash for the rats' benefit, we are uncertain about this giant pickle jar. It'd make a fun dig box, but we're not sure about what happens if rats decide to chew the rim of the jar. Considering that rats can chew through concrete, glass won't provide much of an obstacle. If they do chew on the glass, then will all that glass powder make it dangerous to walk through? When they groom?

Or do rats not generally chew on glass? I'm really not willing to risk it without some extensive knowledge first.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I can't say that rats would chew glass, but I'd be more worried about ventilation since you can't cut holes into a glass jar.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't say that rats would chew glass, but I'd be more worried about ventilation since you can't cut holes into a glass jar.
It wouldn't be a living quarter. Just something to throw some shredded paper in or other dig-worthy artifacts so they can play in it at their leisure.

·
Registered
455 Posts
It's safe. Just make sur it's on it's side and supported so it wont roll on anyone. Concrete is basically just dried mud, but glass is heat fused, not as easy to cumble at all :p

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's safe. Just make sur it's on it's side and supported so it wont roll on anyone. Concrete is basically just dried mud, but glass is heat fused, not as easy to cumble at all :p
Hmm, I was thinking of leaving it upright since rats are good jumpers. And with the digging stuff inside, they would have something to stand on. Would that be a bad idea?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts