Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is one sex sweeter or more docile than the other? Please tell me what you think! :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well, in general, males are lazier than females. Of course, there are always some exceptions, so before you buy a rat see how it reacts to you and what its personality is like.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Sweeter or docile? No, I don't think so.

There are some basic generalizations about the sexes (females are smaller, more hyper, less prone to scent marking and males are the opposite), but mind they don't apply to every rat.

And how sweet a rat is can depend on how it's been socialized and handled as well. :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
My little Gohma is your typical female rat. She's everything I was expecting from getting a girl rat... Hyper, hates to be held, and rarely scent marks.

Dust is hyper too, but she tolerates being picked up, and loves to cuddle. She's on my shoulder cleaning herself right now.

It depends entirely on the rat itself. If you want a cuddle-bug who is also hyper, I'd say try to find a girl who shows no desire to get away while you're holding her. That's why I chose Dust in the first place--because she didn't seem afraid to be held, even though the pet store girl picked her up by her tail.. She didn't like that, of course, but once I was holding her the right way she calmed down.

If you just want a cuddler and nothing else you're probably better going with a boy rat. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts