Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my rat Mr Peepee for over a year now and two months ago I decided to get him a buddy (Milkshake). The reason why I waited so long to get him a friend was because the only pet store near my house didn't have a new shipment of rats yet, so I had to wait. At first when I introduced them, Mr Peepee would puff up and beat Milkshake up a bit when I put them in the same cage. I would always here frantic squeaking, but never any signs of a serious fight. They would act very calm and affectionate on neutral territory (once in a while Mr Peepee would bully Milkshake over dominance), but once They went in each other's cages they'd fight. Milkshake lives in a very small traveling cage and Mr Peepee, being a spoiled brat, lives in a 4 story cage that he doesn't like sharing. I noticed a few days ago they weren't fighting as much and when I put milkshake near Mr Peepee's cage, Mr Peepee didn't attack. A few hours ago (around 10 AM) I decided to put them both in the big cage together. At first Mr Peepee had a big hissy fight about this and wouldn't eat any treats I gave him, but after about 5 minutes they both calmed down and ate together. It's 4:30 PM now and they are both sleeping together in their hammock. They seem to be alright to live together, but I'm still afraid they might fight. I understand that boys will always be little bullies to each other, but I'm just worried because my previous rat, TG, killed his brother Junior in a fight when i was in school. I hate to see my boys be so lonely at night with no one to cuddle with, but I really don't want to have this happen again so I'm asking you guys for help to see if they can start living in the same cage.

·
Registered
244 Posts
From what you described, it sounds like they're well on their way toward accepting one another as roommates. Sleeping together in the hammock and eating together are very positive signs. However, if you have any concerns, being around to monitor them when they're in the cage together for awhile could give you the peace of mind to know it's going to work out just fine. If you want to be super safe, you can initially leave them in the cage together only when you're around to be able to break up a fight if one occurs. When you're not able to be nearby, you can alternate them being by themselves in the travelling or the big cage, placing them near one another. It will come to a point where you'll have a better sense of whether or not they have become true buddies. It sounds like it's already going really well, though. Keep in mind, too, that one rat is usually dominant and will often pin down the other to maintain his dominance. You'll know it's serious and dangerous if one of your rats puffs up and/or stands on his hind legs. In the beginning you can keep things around to break up any serious fights if they should occur. I've found a big paper towel roll works well----it's sturdy and padded.

That's great you got Mr. PeePee a friend! I'd also make sure Mr. PeePee knows he's number one for you, too. He could easily get jealous and giving him extra attention can really help reassure him.

Love the photo! Is that Mr. PeePee or Milkshake? You both are gorgeous. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts